Respected Contributor

Re: persil laundry detergent

I use Persil.  I do like it and it works well with my well water.  It is supposed to be a biological detergent that has enzymes that break stains and things down.  If I have a stain, I use Shout and let the washer fill, then stop it to soak for 15 minutes, then start the load.  I have an old school washer from the late 90s.  It is an Armana and still going strong.  I've replaced the water pump on it myself for $18.  I priced the part locally and at online vendors for $80 and up, but found the same thing on ebay from a US dealer.  I got it in 3 days, and found a video online showing how to replace it.  It was super easy but I did have to use a piece of metal conduit pipe over the wrench handle to extend the fulcrum point for more leverage to break the nuts loose.  It took maybe 20 minutes.  It has worked perfect since.  My dryer is the same and bought at the same time.  I regularly clean out the dryer vent tube and outside vent area, then take the front cover off the dryer and vacuum up all the lint in the bottom of it as well.  That is how house fires start.  I don't have plans to change any time soon.

I also use All Free & Clear.  I have thought about trying Nellie's especially when HSN has it on special.

Valued Contributor

It's my current detergent.  I love the scent.  I am addicted to the scent.  It cleans fine too.  Prior to this I used Cheer for a long long time, Tide for a much shorter time, and Wisk for a short time.   Wisk was pretty good overall and dirt cheap but I hear it is no longer being made.

Frequent Contributor

I was wondering how do you find out who the actor(s) are in commercials?  Is there a special website or do you just go to the product's  website to find out ? I saw where one of the responders said the actor in the persil ad is Peter Hermann, how did she find out?

Trusted Contributor

I've possibly seen Persil at Aldi's. I didn't really pay close attention so don't quote me. I'm loyal to Nellie's Washing powder. I've purchased the huge tub so I'm planning on it being my final purchase of laundry soap. Woman Surprised

You only use about a tsp per load. Sometimes I use a tbsp if the load is larger. Since I started using Nellie's I've eliminated fabric softener (Downy) and my clothes don't miss it all. I figure a film of softener or residual suds cannot be good for my skin. Wet clothes no longer have a film on them when being transferred to the dryer. I never have used dryer sheets, either.

I was a Tide & Downy gal my entire life until Shannon on HSN wore me down demonstrating Nellie's. I liked that is low sudsing, too.

dee

Respected Contributor

the actor on persil commercial is in a show we watch on tv land younger.  i didnt know they stopped making wisk. now that it was mentioned on this blog i havnt seen comercials for wisk in a long time.

Respected Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

It's my current detergent.  I love the scent.  I am addicted to the scent.  It cleans fine too.  Prior to this I used Cheer for a long long time, Tide for a much shorter time, and Wisk for a short time.   Wisk was pretty good overall and dirt cheap but I hear it is no longer being made.

We are addicted to the scent also......love it. 

Valued Contributor

I don't like heavily scented laundry detergent but the Persil works great on DH filthy dirty grunge clothes from when he does mechanical work or yard work.  That's the only load I use it on, generally,but I think it works great!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Persil = $$$

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Used Wisk for years.....and now they have discontinued it and I am very disappointed.

it was a top selling, top performing product and those in charge decided after 60 years on the market it no longer needed to be out there and Persil is intended to be marketed as its successor.  I loved Wisk and won't use Persil for that reason.  Wisk was affordable, did the job, and didn't smell like something other than clean clothes.  Oh well, now looking for what I will use to replace it.

https://www.wisk.com

Esteemed Contributor

Too bad Wisk is gone.  I use Persil sometimes and it cleans fine.  I also like Tide in the yellow bottle.