Respected Contributor

Re: people who use vinegar in their laundry ...

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@panda1234 - if I have a grease or oil stain that won't come out with Dawn, I've had good luck with Shout.  Spray it on and let it sit at least overnight.  Even dyered set in stains usually come out.

Wow, I am going to get some Shout @CelticCrafter. Thank you for the tip.

Respected Contributor

i dont buy dishwasher cleaner any more i put 2 cups f white vinagar and a cup of baking soda. works better than dw cleaner. and i allso use it for drains. works really good.

Respected Contributor

About once or twice a year, I put  small bowls of vinegar on top and bottom shelf of dishwasher and run it.

The  liquid in the bowls is  quite cloudy when the cycle finishes, so I suppose that might be residue from food or detergent.  At any rate, I've never had a smelly dishwasher.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I almost always use regular vinegar and I use is in the rise cycle.

I just recently heard about the 'cleaning' vinegar on these boards....I do use that on my windows with dawn soap...and it made a big difference.

@Mom2Dogs

I just did my windows, too.  Wiped down my kitchen appliances with it and it worked well.  

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

I just buy cheap white vinegar for everything.
Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

since i am on the reference desk, i looked up the difference betweeen the two and reg vinegar is 5% vs cleaning at 6%.  the site did say that that the 1% makes the cleaning 20% stronger.

but for the difference in price, i will stick with plain 5% as the high the acidty level the more it would rot clothes

@shortbreadlover  What "reference desk" are you on? A Library? Some kind of Home Ec. Dept.? This post was unclear.  What site have you quoted? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Contributor

Remember the syndicated column, Hints from Heloise?  She was an advocate of regular ole vinegar for many uses, inlcuding the laundry rinse cycle.  Removal of the detergent residue also iimproves absorancy of towels.

Contributor

What company is selling that? J&J? P & G? other?

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

i dont buy dishwasher cleaner any more i put 2 cups f white vinagar and a cup of baking soda. works better than dw cleaner. and i allso use it for drains. works really good.

@Pooky1 I make my own dishwasher tablets. Baking soda, Blue Dawn and citric acid.

Honored Contributor

@CindyStLouWho - selling what?

The cleaning vinegar I've seen is made by Heinz.