Trusted Contributor

hardy plank siding question.

I am looking to replace siding on my home. Do any of you guys have hardyplank or cement fiber board siding.? That is what I am leaning toward. Any difficulties ? Opinions, good, bad?

Respected Contributor

Re: hardy plank siding question.

@webbgarner1wrote:

I am looking to replace siding on my home. Do any of you guys have hardyplank or cement fiber board siding.? That is what I am leaning toward. Any difficulties ? Opinions, good, bad?

We had a home with hardyplank and HATED it.  The realtor told us it's a whole lot less expensive than brick and you can just powerwash it every now and then if needed.  She said also doesn't get mildew on it. 

We learned the hard way.  It's NOT much less expensive than brick.  In my area brick lasts a lifetime and no painting or powerwashing ever! 

Hardyplank DOES get mildew on it.  It DOES need painting. 

The small amount more to have brick will pay for itself in a short time. 

We sold the home and don't plan on ever having it again.  (Just my 2 cents).

Super Contributor

Built our home in 2003...used Hardy Plank and would use nothing else!!! Love it

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your honesty. Maybe we will look at other options. I actually prefer brick as well. 

Honored Contributor

Our house is mostly brick and some hardy plank. Our house is 13 years old. We’ve painted it once in 13 years. It looks terrific and we’ve had no problems at all with it. We’re fans of it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We were supposed to have it on our new house. Thr builder discontinued use of it because of the toxins it gives off while cutting it. We ended up getting something similar that was natural. Our covenants said no viynl on the front. I believe it’s some kind of wood. It’s not cedar. We have a stone house but the gables are wood shaker shingles.

Respected Contributor

I have had hardy plank on two homes - with absolutely no problems.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I would think it depends on where you live. Here in hurricane land any kind of siding is not a great idea. If you live somewhere it's damp most of the time - I have heard that hardy plank gets mildewy.I have a friend who lives on an island in New York and she is always complaining about having to power wash it.

Frequent Contributor

We replaced our aluminum siding with Hardi Plank about 15 years ago and it's been great.