Honored Contributor

color catcher sheets for your laundry

My cousin was telling me she uses one of these each week in her laundry. She uses the same one for each load, and yet, though it's been used over & over , it still catches the excess color and protects the clothes from getting inadvertantly dyed. So I tried it. It does work. I had one in 2 loads before I put it in with my towels where I was washing some new t towels from the Dollar Tree - they have orange leaves on them , and sure enough , nothing else in the load got orange on it but the color catcher. Then I put it in a load of darks and it came out a dark grey color. So I wouldn't use these one per load because it would be too expensive, but one per week I can go for to keep dyes from the wash water off my clothes, and my colors nice and bright.

Valued Contributor

Re: color catcher sheets for your laundry

I also tear them in half unless it's a heavily dyed item during its first wash. I can use each half sheet about three times.

Honored Contributor

The only thing is I have to watch for it carefully so I don't accidently throw it in the dryer with the wet clothes.

Honored Contributor

I mainly use them when I'm washing a handmade quilt with darker colors before I gift it or for some of the quilts I use here that have darker colors in them.

It's just me but I wouldn't and don't use them over again.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I always use these when washing quilts as I don't prewash any of the fabrics beforehand. Works like a charm!

Honored Contributor

I love the sheets and use them over and over too...until they fall apart.  I have accidently put them into the dryer wet and stained with no ill effects. The color does not rub off.

My grocery store sells a generic version which I buy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  1. I vaguely remember hearing about them many years ago but had forgotten until I read this post. Do you get them at Target or Wal-Mart?
Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG- Yes, WM carries them

Honored Contributor

@AuntG.  You can get them everywhere.  Theyre a standard laundry item now.  I wouldn't risk using one sheet over and over.  I've ruined too many clothing pieces to risk it.  I have 2 or 3 pairs of D&C 2-pocket pants in antique rose with purple sploches on them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I put my in a loungeray bag. In fact my washer suggest that they can find there way into the motor.That way you can keep a eye on them , I find the bags at the the dollar store ususually 3 for a dollar. and theyhave zippers on them.