Highlighted
Honored Contributor

can move back into house---finally!!!!!!

Finally-----got the ok to start moving back into my house!!!! Had a huge tree fall on the upstairs last Dec that destroyed the roof and damaged 4 rooms plus 2 bathrooms. We are in a rental now  and getting ready to move---again!! Still little things that need to be done but very minor and can be done while we are living there. can I just say what an incredibly stressful thing this has been----big sigh........Woman Surprised

Super Contributor

Re: can move back into house---finally!!!!!!

So happy to hear this! It's always so much better to sleep in your own bedroom and use your own bathroom, right?💗

Honored Contributor

@wagirl  So sorry you had to deal with an accident on your home.  Now you are back and I bet it feels absolutely great.  It's the little things in life that make us happy.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@wagirl Good news!!  I bet you will be happy to be home and sleep in your own bed.  Enjoy your newly redecorated home.

I have had a partially working bathroom for about 6 weeks and for the last week I have had to share the shower with my dh....can't wait until the plumber gets her and puts on the new shower hardware.

Honored Contributor

thanks to all for your  good wishes--- we aren't in our house yet; still in the rental. I need to get the carpets cleaned as well as the rest of the house. When the tree fell it took out the cable for tv, internet and phones so those folks have to come back and re wire the whole house. So moving will be in steps and not all at once. But I can the light at the end of the tunnel now. 

Honored Contributor

Wow that sounds almost like a total loss!  I guess they don't *total* homes if your foundation is okay.  That must've been one big tree.

I'm guessing it was covered well until the roof was completed so rain couldn't get in.  

I would hold off on cleaning carpets till after the last workman left.  Heck, I'd probably want to tear all the carpets up and get them out totally.  Start fresh!

Since you're still in a rental, you may want to do a little painting downstairs to match your brand new upstairs.

Did the tree just fall or was there wind and rain?  Was it your tree?  Were you in the house when it happened?  I can't even imagine what that must be like.  

So glad you're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm---the tree was a huge douglas fir about 180 ft tall. It broke off about 8 feet from the ground and speared through the room I was in, I moved in a fraction of a second as I heard that horrible cracking noise  and the tree fell where I was---literally fractions of a second!! Damaged  the roof trusses, put holes in the roof, kind of kitty corner across it.. My house is a 2 story so the downstairs was not damaged much, but it damaged 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Yes it was on our property and it fell during a wind storm. We just bought new carpeting downstairs that went up the stairs and down the hall---and it was pretty pricey and we loved that carpeting so we were able to save all of it,  as the hubs covered it with a plastic film during construction. workman are gone for the most part. the whole inside of the house has fresh paint. The hubs is in construction so he put a temp roof on the open part of the roof ,just in time for about 24" of snow to fall in Feb. We were able to live there until July when work began. No foundation damage. Was very traumatic  almost being squished by a tree-------I' m in western WA state where we get wind storms often. All this happened on my 43 rd wedding anniversary---Dec 20th of last year!!!  A wild ride !!!!

Honored Contributor

Wow!  How lucky you were to move and in the right direction!  So glad your house is *whole* again.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm---yes--I believe a few of my guardian angels probaby retired that day------Woman Wink thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl 

I'm sorry you've been through such a tough time.  So many people are during all the various storms.  

Enjoy your newly renovated home.  Best of luck to you,