Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie...I came across a thread from 2015 about Bath Fitters.  We are thinking of redoing my bathroom - the tub/shower surround were not updated when I had the bathroom updated a few years ago.  

The house (built in the 70's) from what I understand but do not know for sure has the shower surround built into the walls.  We are concerned about having to do a lot of tearing out, that is the reason for using a Bath Fitter type of company.

Long story short, are you still happy with your shower redo...I believe the thread was dated sometime in 2015!  Thanks for any input.

Esteemed Contributor

Talk about timing. We are having our third bathroom done today and will be finished tomorrow. We are using Rebath. We had the two other baths done two years ago and we are very happy. As for demolition it’s really not that bad. He started at about 10:00 and left around 4:30. He replaced the backer boards, has the new walls up, new hardware installed. All that is left is grab bars, shelves, shower curtain rod, caulking and put the liner over the tub. He said he should be done around 1:00 tomorrow. Not very noisy either. Our house was built in 1986 and we had that ugly cultured marble in an almond color. We had already replaced the vanity and flooring a couple of years ago. That we did ourselves. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: bath fitter

[ Edited ]

Google bath fitter - and also check out on Yelp. You always have to be careful when hiring companies - as one may be great and the other terrible. 

I've read bad reviews - so I wouldn't do it for myself.

Last year I tiled my stall shower and tub surround - they took  the walls down to the studs - and my shower/tub look great. I hired a company recommended very highly and they did a very good job.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty , if I am understanding correctly you are NOT have a new unit placed over the old, correct? ...but I read you are having a liner put over the tup, so I am a tad confused.  Did you just tear out the shower walls?

Can I be nosy and ask what you are paying?

If you are not going over top the old unit, are you using fiberglass for the walls?

Honored Contributor

@kivah I have googled and read reviews - I think it is a coin toss..you may or may not get a good installer.  I would rather take the unit out and start fresh - 

Honored Contributor

WV Rebath updated our bathrooms in 2007, because we wanted rid of the fiberglass shower in the master bath, and fiberglass tub shower combo in the main bath.   Both of those units were put in place and the house built around them in 1981.   The fiberglass units were sawed into pieces and out of here in minutes.   Dealing with that was the whole reason we didn’t do the job ourselves.  

In our master bath we had a custom made shower base and floor to ceiling wall surround installed.   In the main bath we had a one piece tub, and wall surround installed.   

It took 2 full days, and cost around $8,000.  We are still very satisfied with what we had done.    

Honored Contributor

@RedTop ....I see you had ReBath do your update - at the time did you get pricing from a local contractor as well?

Esteemed Contributor

We had a crack in the bottom of fiberglass tub that came with the house.  Bathfitters quoted price $1,300 - - went with whole new tub - walls for $500 range.  I would go with new and get walls - or any leaks inspected at same time.  Bathfitters just covers your existing (old) tub -walls.

Respected Contributor

Re: bath fitter

[ Edited ]

Bathfitters redid our bathroom in a rental house we owned;  they really messed up the plumbing - the tub wouldn't drain.  Had to hire "real"  plumbers.  Turned out BF left an old piece of pipe inside the new tub drain.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs , while I can’t say that Bathfitter did a bad job, I’m not sure that they did a great job.  I had to call them back because some of the caulking was a little sloppy.  Twice.  So far the plumbing seems to be fine.  Also, I didn’t realize that the tub would so much smaller.  It’s the guest bathroom so it’s not used daily although for the first couple of months, it was just to make sure everything was in order.  Now, it’s used sporadically.

The job took two days, one day for the plumber, next day was the actual installation.

That job was done in 2015 but we also had a stand alone shower redone in maybe 2008.  That was a good job with no problems.  Last year, I noticed the there is a spot on the floor of the shower that feels like it’s lost some underlayment.   This shower is used everyday so its held up pretty well.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)