Trusted Contributor

Re: Your method of washing dishes

I load the dishwasher!  I absolutely hate washing dishes by hand.

Trusted Contributor

I rinse dishes after dinner, run the garbage disposal. Dishwasher takes over, then I clean anything he missed.-------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

Depending on who cooked or grilled, rinse, put in dishwasher which is run about every four days, scrub pots and pans.

Honored Contributor

We rinse the food off dishes and load the dishwasher.  We hand wash the pots and pans and the knives.  I run dishwasher every couple of days. 

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I know you'll all hate me for wasting water but I leave it running and wash my dishes.  Sometimes if it takes me longer to scrub whatever I turn it off.  My dish drain is on the right side of my 2-bowl SS sink.  After I cook I leave things in the left side and wash in the right side.

I'm guilty of leaving the water running too!  

I wash them in the order in which they get placed in the drainer.  Dinner plates first, smaller plates, small bowls, serving bowls, pots and pans.  

It's an OCD kind of thing with me so they need to be in size order.

Valued Contributor

Dishwasher for me. The only things i hand wash are pots/pans and their lids, crystal and my kithen knives.

Honored Contributor

I hate washing dishes by hand.  A bungalow we just bought doesn't have a dishwasher (yet!!) and I have to wash by hand. 

The sink is an old cast iron farm sink, it's huge.  I keep a deep dishpan to the left side and fill it with hot hot hot sudsy water. 

All dishes go in and soak.  (They get scraped and rinsed, first.) Sometimes I empty the water out and refill the dishpan again.  Hot hot hot water.

I wash the dishes wearing rubber gloves.  I use paper towels with dish liquid to suds them up (again).   I'm leary of dishrags and sponges.

They get rinsed in hot hot hot water, I just keep the water running as I rinse, rinse, rinse.

Dishes get put in a white dishrack that has a drainer tray underneath.  The farm house sink has a grooved surface dish drainer on the one side, but I don't use it.

I always let dishes dry on their own.  I'm not into drying dishes.  I had to wash them for heaven's sake!

All gets put away when dried.

I wipe down the silverware *cup/container* and empty any water in the drainer tray.  That gets wiped too.  I wipe off the rubber gloves and also the inside of the dishpan.

I can't wait to get a dishwasher when we do the place over.  I never liked eating off of handwashed dishes, especially at other people's homes.

Have you ever seen the inside of some peoples silverware trays/drawers?  Thud.

Honored Contributor

I hand wash dishes every day, usually first thing in the morning and let them air dry unless there is a particular dish I want to use.  I have a dishwasher but use it only when full.

Sometimes I soak a baking dish in Dawn overnight.  It comes out practically clean in the morning.  Dawn is the only dishwashing detergent I use. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I hate washing dishes by hand.  A bungalow we just bought doesn't have a dishwasher (yet!!) and I have to wash by hand. 

The sink is an old cast iron farm sink, it's huge.  I keep a deep dishpan to the left side and fill it with hot hot hot sudsy water. 

All dishes go in and soak.  (They get scraped and rinsed, first.) Sometimes I empty the water out and refill the dishpan again.  Hot hot hot water.

I wash the dishes wearing rubber gloves.  I use paper towels with dish liquid to suds them up (again).   I'm leary of dishrags and sponges.

They get rinsed in hot hot hot water, I just keep the water running as I rinse, rinse, rinse.

Dishes get put in a white dishrack that has a drainer tray underneath.  The farm house sink has a grooved surface dish drainer on the one side, but I don't use it.

I always let dishes dry on their own.  I'm not into drying dishes.  I had to wash them for heaven's sake!

All gets put away when dried.

I wipe down the silverware *cup/container* and empty any water in the drainer tray.  That gets wiped too.  I wipe off the rubber gloves and also the inside of the dishpan.

I can't wait to get a dishwasher when we do the place over.  I never liked eating off of handwashed dishes, especially at other people's homes.

Have you ever seen the inside of some peoples silverware trays/drawers?  Thud.

Yes about the silverware trays/drawers. Some people's look like they haven't been emptied and cleaned out in decades. Definitely gross.

And I'm kind of the opposite about being leery of eating off hand washed dishes. I don't like to eat off dishes that come from a home dishwasher (of course in restaurants it has to be, as I can't imagine knowingly eating off 'public' dishes that hadn't been sterilized).

I think the dishes, glasses and silverware taste funny after a time, and you can see the haze from hard water/detergent/high temps, whatever. I can taste it especially when drinking from their glasses. And I've seen the inside of many dishwashers that are so nasty. I know not everyone lets their dishwasher get like that, but to me, it seems to be harboring food and gunk etc. Maybe there are newer and more high end dishwashers that perform better than the ones I've been exposed to, but I'm just not a fan of the dishwasher.

I always feel dishes aren't really clean unless they've soaked a few minutes in a very hot soapy sink, then scrubbed well with a clean dish rag, rinsed, fully dried and put away. And in my house, the stainless kitchen sinks get sanitized a minimum of once daily, as well.

Honored Contributor

Dishwasher for me too.  I handwash all my non-stick pans and I own a set of steak knives that have wooden handles so those are hand washed.

I would think dishes from a dishwasher would be more sterilized than dishes done by hand.  The water that comes out in a dishwasher is a lot hotter than what you wash dishes in by hand. 

How does the inside of a dishwasher get dirty?  It's clean water and soap going through it all the time?