Valued Contributor

My campaign to get my family to turns off lights when they leave a room has paid off...and it wasn't easy; it took me months.

We got our electrice bill today and it was about two thirds of what it usualy is. I thought I was going to have to threaten personal violence but it worked! It's a nice savings.

Honored Contributor

Re: YEE HAW!!!!!

[ Edited ]

If you use LED light bulbs then that can save you some money on your electric bill...quite a bit in fact compared to the old kind of bulbs. Keeping lights on in a house won't be too much of a concern if you use LEDs. They hardly use any electricity.

Valued Contributor

Re: YEE HAW!!!!!

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote: (aka Debbie Downer)

If you use LED light bulbs then that can save you some money on your electric bill...quite a bit in fact compared to the old kind of bulbs.

we did that years ago. We also have solar panels on the roof; they were pricey but the city and/or state gave us a nice rebate and that really helped. we live in the pacific northwest and there's some kind of idea that we don't get enough sun to make it worthwhile but even with the clouds we still get plenty of sunshine to make it worth it.

Honored Contributor

If you replaced your bulbs years ago then those are probably CFL type and not LED. There is a significant savings when you go with LED bulbs. CFLs generally use about 25% less energy. LEDs use 75% less energy.

download.jfif

Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 I've never been one to leave lights on. It's always been a bugaboo for me, leaving lights on in a room that isn't occupied.

Trusted Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

My campaign to get my family to turns off lights when they leave a room has paid off...and it wasn't easy; it took me months.

We got our electrice bill today and it was about two thirds of what it usualy is. I thought I was going to have to threaten personal violence but it worked! It's a nice savings.

@PuppyLoverBob666    My dad was a fanatic about turning off lights when leaving a room. 
I still remember him saying "Waste not...Want not". 

Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666   I love that several of my lights have built in dimmers and I always use that feature.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 Good for you, congrats!   I generally say, did you get a raise or something leaving all the lights on?  They blow and go back and turn them off, works everytime.

Super Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666    My dad was a fanatic about turning off lights when leaving a room. 
I still remember him saying "Waste not...Want not". 

@Mombo1  Pittsburgh Dad did a cute 3+ minute video about lights (on youtube):  Pittsburgh Dad Flips Out About Leaving Lights On

Trusted Contributor

They have raised our electricity rates as well as water, so our bills are going up even when we use less. Frustrating, but if everyone is using less electricity will hopefully avoid rolling blackouts they are predicting this summer. Nobody wants that to happen.