Honored Contributor

Re: Would you feel comfortable renting out your home?

@house_cat wrote:

@chrystaltree

Wow!  That sounds like a wonderful vacation!

I know!  We're all still talking.  Both of my sil's are teachers and my bff is retired; so, the timing works for them.  The rest of us have to coordinate our vacation time but it's a year away, so that won't be a problem.  That's the beauty of Airbnb, it makes a trip like this possible without spending a fortune.  

Honored Contributor

No.  

Valued Contributor

When we moved here 25 years ago, the Senior's PGA tournament was played on our course, a few months before the tourney, we all received letters, offering something like $1000. per night (for a week if I remember correctly) for one of the pros & 1 "guest" to use our home..we never considered it, but a neighbor did, she has Asian decor, with several Buddah figurines in her home, when she returned, the golfer had removed them & put them in her garage.

no damages, but she never did it again! 

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004

That's weird.  Does she have any idea why he did that?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

The Olympics were held here in 2002.  People were willing to rent out their houses because they thought the hotels would be full (before the BRB term).  The folks at Sea World brought in some of their animals as part of the entertainment downtown.  They rented out a big house in the historic area.  Little did the home owners know that their house would be full of penguins and other water habitants.  The bathtubs were filled with water which was splashed all over the house.  Needless to say, there was a lawsuit.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo

Okay - now THAT wins for the craziest rental story I've ever heard!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I am in a big resort town in upper MI and renting our your home/cottage is big where I live. Many, many homes/condos are rented out during the Summer and even in the Winter for the skiing season. Big commodity here!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be 100% comfortable but I'd be 100% open to it for the right price. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't rent my own home, but would buy one to strictly be a rental. In the past 10 years we have started renting homes when on vacation with our family. We usually use Home Away or AirB&B. 

We rented a gorgeous home in Dana Point Calif. one year. There were 8 of us and the home was huge and luxurious. Last year we had a home in Massachusetts right on the water for a week. It makes so much sense if there are more than 2 people as it is so much cheaper than a hotel room for everyone. For each home, we had contact with owners or rental agency and they did their best to make sure there would be no drunken,wild, destructive behavior to their home.

Honored Contributor

We have friends who purchased a home on Hilton Head Island for when they retired. Furnished it from Goodwill and rented it to vacationers until they retired. The rent was $2500/week so you'd think the people who rented would be regular, normal, respectable folks. Well, the damage done to that place by renters was unbelieveable. It was even caught on fire a few times. They say it cost them more than they made on rent over the few years they had it to fix it back up so they could live in it - and they had a great agent who kept it rented almost all spring, summer & fall every year.

So, no, I would never rent my home out.