Esteemed Contributor

I think we may compromise.  One door has a sliding screen, the other does not.

I can "modulate" the usage.  DH wants the screen.  I don't think they are necessary.

These are doors that look like French doors, but open only on one side with a hinge in the middle.  They are lovely, IMO, and just a touch above your standard slider (even though newer sliders appear to be pretty nice).  It just seems like such a gracious thing to throw open the door to the woodland behind.  It does, however, leave us exposed to the elements.  

I like walking in the rain, too!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I take it you don't have mosquitos.

Also, if you decide not to get screens now, you can easily order them in the future.

You know, @PickyPicky3 , they are not terrible here.  The frogs seem to take care of the mosquitos.  

And you are right, screens could be a future option.

Cogito ergo sum
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  You need to do what works best for you but I cannot imagine not having screens on our windows!  Oh my, we would have flying bugs of all kinds.

I think the better the screen the better you can see thru it...I'd check that out before going the no screen route, but that's me.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a bug person, @Mom2Dogs . I like insects!  I appreciate your input and have asked my sales rep a few questions!  We will get to the bottom of this and it will be fantastic.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

We are surrounded by trees in the mountains.  I really dislike how screens seem to "darken" the rooms slightly.

I have no screens, just a fly swatter!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

We are surrounded by trees in the mountains.  I really dislike how screens seem to "darken" the rooms slightly.

I have no screens, just a fly swatter!

Love that, @ECBG !

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Since this thread started, I haven't been able to get the song "Camelot" out of my head. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Window Screens

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I am going to replace our rear patio doors (hinged, not sliding, just one side opens but the two doors are full view).

An option is to have a sliding screen.  I only have screens on windows that aren't that viewable from the street and I do open windows (and doors) without screens.  Nothing bad happens. If the odd critter comes in I swish them back out.

I don't think I like the idea of looking through a screen, and I fear the dog will bust through it.  We have really nice nature views here and I enjoy that.  Should I get the sliding screen?

@Sweetbay magnolia @All of my patio door screens are invisible to the eye when looking through them. I can't even tell they are there. In fact, I think two were stolen, because they are missing. I can't tell the difference, on the inside of my house, between the doors with or without the screens. My patio doors are sliding glass doors. 

Honored Contributor

I never put a screen in our front door as I feel it takes away from the formality of the front of the house. 

I do believe they aren't *extra $ *, but come with the door. 

A screen came for the sliding glass door at our other house, which I do use since it's at the back of the house.

Honored Contributor

I don't open windows or doors without a screen.