Esteemed Contributor

I am going to replace our rear patio doors (hinged, not sliding, just one side opens but the two doors are full view).

An option is to have a sliding screen.  I only have screens on windows that aren't that viewable from the street and I do open windows (and doors) without screens.  Nothing bad happens. If the odd critter comes in I swish them back out.

I don't think I like the idea of looking through a screen, and I fear the dog will bust through it.  We have really nice nature views here and I enjoy that.  Should I get the sliding screen?

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

There a lot of screen door magnets, flowers, butterflies, etc. that you can put on a screen door at pet or small child as well as adult eye level that might work to keep your dog from busting through. I've gotten some from Amazon over the years not as warnings but to cover holes or small rips in screens until I could get them fixed. 

Esteemed Contributor

If you don't have a bug problem........what are you trying to ...keep in (house) or out?

I must be missing something.

Also - your door is hinged......from my understanding you would need a floor level 'track' for the screen to slide.

Not clear how that would work.  My patio door  slides on a track as does my screen.

(Side Bar as Shawn says)  I have a screened porch so took the door screen off - stored in garage - because it cut down the sunlight.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  I have this exact door setup. We have the screen it is flimsy and never attaches to lock properly.  When we have the door open you can tell that your seeing through a screen. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, @fthunt , I am a "child of the universe" and like to let Nature in.  Bugs don't generally bug me, so screens are no big deal.  It appears there would be a track outside the hinged doors, that houses the screen.

Now I'm wondering if I should consider a slider.  Thought we have 80' trees and there is much detritus!  I can only imagine how clogged up that track could get.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@godi wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia  I have this exact door setup. We have the screen it is flimsy and never attaches to lock properly.  When we have the door open you can tell that your seeing through a screen. 

Hmmm, @godi .  I may forgo the screen.  I don't mind not having them.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Re: Window Screens

[ Edited ]

I take it you don't have mosquitos.

Also, if you decide not to get screens now, you can easily order them in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Window Screens

[ Edited ]

We got rid of our screen decades ago and replaced a sliding glass door with french doors plus French door security doors. Nobody is going to break through those. You can keep the French doors open and still have the security screens locked for safety if you want. 

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  So, right now you have French doors?  We have sliding glass doors in our family room and dining room.  Don't need the screens there because they open up to our screened porch and patio which encloses our pool.  Upstairs on our loft we have a sliding glass door and that DOES have the sliding screen.  It is flimsy and I don't really like it but it needs some enclosure because it leads outside to the balcony where you can see the pool below.  If we didn't have the screen there, God only knows what could fly in....birds, "insects du jour", neighbor's badly aimed Frisbees, etc.   LOL. 🐦🐝

And all our regular windows have screens.  They don't hamper our view of Mother Nature or anything.  Our dog never bumped into the screen.  I like a screen on any open window or door.  I feel "safer" that way.  It keeps out any creepy crawlers, either of the 2  or 4 legged variety.  LOL. 🏘👀👣👺

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have a decorative dog guard on the bottom one-third of my sliding screen door.  It doesn't mar my view but if the dog scratches it, it doesn't damage the screen.