Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl 

Did google specify the strengths?

In the last five years I've noticed both chlorine bleach and white vinegar strengths may vary from brand to brand.

In white vinegar I look for 5% acidity. Chlorine bleach I have right now is 5.25% sodium hypochlorite.

Some grocery chain store brands, and those at Family Dollar, and other low price stites often carry a more diluted product.

➡ i recall reading the stink was sometimes hiding under the door gaskets. Some model designs led to a buildup under door gaskets because of lack of airflow to dry it out after use, even if the door was left open.

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@shaggygirl 

Did google specify the strengths?

In the last five years I've noticed both chlorine bleach and white vinegar strengths may vary from brand to brand.

In white vinegar I look for 5% acidity. Chlorine bleach I have right now is 5.25% sodium hypochlorite.

Some grocery chain store brands, and those at Family Dollar, and other low price stites often carry a more diluted product.

➡ i recall reading the stink was sometimes hiding under the door gaskets. Some model designs led to a buildup under door gaskets because of lack of airflow to dry it out after use, even if the door was left open.

@x Hedge 

No, it only says white vinegar. No strength mentioned. My cycle is done so I'm going back to my other post to give results.

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda  I use baking soda in my top load washer with towels and dog blankets. It removes the smell and leaves the wash soft. I haven’t had problems with odors.

Super Contributor

You might check if your washer has filters or traps that need periodic cleaning.  I know some front load machines have them, not sure about top load machines.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Why does this stink?

[ Edited ]

I have an old top loader.  First-floor laundry room, no basement.  I use it and after, the lid is closed all the time.

Never had an odor.

I think all of the new front loaders are junk.  Newer top loaders, not far behind.

Honored Contributor

The first post below the OP's is correct.  You should leave the top of the washer open.

It might be too, the water isn't completely draining out of the washer or the water lines.

So I googled:  "Why does my washer stink".  This website (among many) came up.  Clorox makes a special liquid to totally clean washers if none of these options posted works.

Go here:https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-washing-machine-cleaner/unscented/?msclkid=5f4cc657526116d7cb...

Respected Contributor

Haven't tried stopping the machine to let any solutions soak...BUT I CERTAINLY AM GOING TO TRY!  Thanks for everybody's help!!

Respected Contributor

I've tried the Clorox washer cleaner...couldn't tell any difference in the odor.

Honored Contributor

I have a front loader HE machine....I always leave the door open as well as the tray for the soap.  I almost always use vinegar in rinse cycle.  My machine has never had an odor....I occasionally use the washing machine 'cleaner'.....

I do know when it is time to replace I am not going to buy another machine like the one I have. I am not sure it get the clothes clean.

Respected Contributor

I agree with others.  I have a HE top loading machine and I always leave the lid up and the detergent/fabric dispenser pulled out.  About every couple of months, I pull the detergent/fabric dispenser out and wash it with hot soapy water in the sink.  I have no more funky smells since I started doing this.  I also run the self cleaning feature and throw in a cup of white vinegar.