Respected Contributor

I have a top loading ''high efficiency'' washing machine that always seems to have an odor coming from it.  I've put washing machine cleaner in it and ran it on the cleaning cycle...to no avail.  Does anyone else have this problem?  If so, what can I do to eliminate the smell?  Thanks.

Contributor

Well first of all, leave your lid open when not in use.  If you have not been doing this you may have hidden mold.  Throw some vinegar in and run thru the cycle.  Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

Agree w/what Kathie fonted...."leave the door open."

What does your user manual state regarding "smells?"

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

The guys who installed my new washer (front loader) told me to leave the detergent dispenser drawer open as well as the washer door between loads. You may be smelling mold.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why does this stink?

[ Edited ]

@sarahpanda wrote:

I have a top loading ''high efficiency'' washing machine that always seems to have an odor coming from it.  I've put washing machine cleaner in it and ran it on the cleaning cycle...to no avail.  Does anyone else have this problem?  If so, what can I do to eliminate the smell?  Thanks.

@sarahpanda 

Yes I also have that problem. Mine is top loading Whirlpool, but it doesn't say it's a high efficiency washer, just to use HE detergent. Well maybe that's the same thing, I dunno. Anyway the odor I detect is what I'd call "musty". Oddly enough some days it's more noticeable than others. I've used the "affresh" tablets my booklet recommends as well as using just clorox, both with hot water. Neither kills it totally. The only thing my booklet recommends is to leave the lid open between washes to help dry out the machine and prevent the buildup of odor-causing residue. I already do that. I'm going to try what another poster has recommended and try vinegar. Matter of fact, I just bought a big bottle (to use to clean my coffee pot) and I'm going to head down in the basement as soon as I post this and try 2 cups of it on a hot cycle and see what happens. Not sure if 2 cups is enough but it's a start. 

Editing to say I just did some googling before heading to my washing machine w/vinegar. It says 4 cups white vinegar and for extra cleaning add also a cup of baking soda. I think my bottle might have 4 cups but after the cycle is done will come back to this thread and let you know if it killed the odor.

Back again to say now I know why google says to put the ingredients in while the machine is filling w/hot water. BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T when you pour the vinegar over the baking soda it fizzes big time. Should have know that from using that combo to clear drains. If this works next time I'll fill halfway with water then unlock the lid and pour the 2 ingredients in.

Okay cycle is finished. It definitely helped. It toned down that musty smell a lot. It's just barely detectible now. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up more vinegar & baking soda and run the clean cycle again. The instructions said to let the machine agitate for about 5 min then stop it, open the lid and let it sit for about an hour then finish the cycle. Also to repeat the whole process if you feel your machine needs it. I didn't do the 5 min/hour thing because my machine has a cleaning cycle so just ran that.

Honored Contributor

I have an old top loader and always leave the lid open.

Honored Contributor

I just leave my top load lid propped open about 3-4 inches.  Never had any odor issues.

Honored Contributor

I deal with this same issue; notice it more since we moved the laundry out of the basement into an area I am in and out of repeatedly throughout the day.   

In my case, the smell is not only with the washer, but also comes from the drain the washer water is pumped into.   The small amount of water left in the machine, and the drain, cause the smell, and both need to be treated.   I use vinegar in the rinse cycles to cut soap suds, but use bleach to clean and disinfect the washer, and the drain line.   

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I have an old top loader and always leave the lid open.

Ditto, and just another reason I don't want a front loader.

Don't want a door sticking out into the walkway, and the effects of gravity on those vertically placed hinges leads to 'door sag'. 

Respected Contributor

I got my front loader about 12 years ago and from day one have always left the door open.  Rarely do I get that musty odor, perhaps that is why.  Sometimes I wipe out the bottom of the rubber gasket that meets up where the door closes as water will sit there.

@sarahpanda Just a thought.  Are you able to stop your machine and let the solution you use sit for a while.