Honored Contributor

Re: Why I DREAD home improvement projects

Look, I have the money to pay people to do my home improvement. I even joined Angie's List (to find good ones).

I know people who know people who do this stuff.....AND STILL I CAN'T FIND ANYONE WHO IS HONEST AND CAN DO A GOOD JOB!

So I feel your pain! It's as if people have more money than they know what to do with or....wait a minute.....here's it....they are too #$%^ lazy!

Honored Contributor

On 4/27/2014 kachina624 said:
On 4/27/2014 ID2 said:

Thank goodness my dh is VERY handy. We do just about everything ourselves! Then we are always sure its done right. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Don't be too smug. I had a husband, father and a son who could do anything. Now all three are gone and I'm alone. Things change.

Same here re: DH.

Honored Contributor

Yes, my late husband could and did fix everything. He always said that no one would or could fix it like he could because it didn't belong to them.

Once he was working on a house he'd bought. The carpenter he'd hired couldn't figure out how to mitre a piece of crown molding.

My husband went to a local library (he was in another state) and sat and read some books on it. Then he went back and figured it out and taught the carpenter who said, "Now, at my age I've learned something". He was in his late 60's.

He did all of the repair work on my daughter's houses. He had our sons-in-law work right along side of him. They loved him as much as their own Dad.

Because of him they are both experts at repairing their own houses.

Respected Contributor

We live in CO and we lived in our house for twenty five years and had the basement finished and then several years later did a total remodel. We used the same contractor and his crew. We sold our house a year and half ago and bought a new one and we have had the same guy come and do all of our changes on this one. He is working right now changing out tile around the fireplace and redoing the mantle. He is so dependable and we never have to call him but once and he is right here doing what we need. He also does a lot of work for my Sister now too. He and is crew are great and we have even gone on vacation and left them working at our home with no problems. I think we have been very fortunate. Now we pay well and always tip also and that may be part of it but I think it can be hit and miss with any kind of contractor until you find the right one. They are out there though so don't give up. Angies' list is a good idea also.

Super Contributor

I joined Angies list and found several wonderful, dependable service people from there. But this year I have had no luck in getting return calls. I am like several of you who don't mind waiting for someone who agrees to do the work. Can't get return calls for any type of job so I am trying to learn how to do my own tile job through Home Depot. Guess service people don't need money or jobs anymore.