Honored Contributor

While watching fixer upper ....

[ Edited ]

first they found a large area of water damage on the floor - clear through the subfloor and they  - SURPRISE - find the heat pump unit doesn't work and is all rusted out. What I can't help but wonder is - don't they get these homes inspected?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: While watching fixer upper ....

I love, love, love that show. As to whether the homes are inspected or not, I don't know the laws in Texas, but I'm sure a lot of what they do is "for show".

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Much as I like a lot of shows on HCTV, that is one show I just don't enjoy.  Maybe the couple is just too "cutsey" "cuddly" to seem realistic to me.   As well as that humongous mural (or whatever it's called) at the end for the reveal.  Just not my cup of tea.

Honored Contributor

I really love that show.  It's my favorite show on HGTV.  I assumed Chip inspected the homes when the couple decided on one.  I, too, have been surprised that they didn't realize some things before the homes were purchased.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

All an inspection would do is tell them why those homes are so far below average market value.    I think pretty much all the renovation shows do the same.  Certainly everything the property brothers redo comes up with "hidden" issues as do Love it or Leave It and the California flip show (forgot its name).  They all find major problems as they go.

Real people you'd think wouldn't do that, but they do -  or maybe I should say did since it's been lots of years since I held my license to sell.  Although I know the couple who bought my house in 2008 did not run a professional inspection.  The husband did his own looking and felt confident he could take care of what he saw.

What I have come never to believe are the estimates all those shows give for bringing the properties back up to liveability.  No way could I ever find a contractor who'd give me anything close to those prices.

Honored Contributor

I can tell you that in both Pennsylvania and Florida you can't get a mortgage without a report from a licensed inspector. Our home was a new build and had been inspected as it was being built by the county electrical, plumbing,heat pump installation and all the stuff to be certain it was up to hurricane resistance.But still, before the mortgage company would give the final approval we had to have a licensed inspector. what was odd to me about that was we were using the mortgage company owned by the builder, but they didn't trust their own company.

Esteemed Contributor

Most "fixer uppers" are not mortgaged.   They are sold "as is".

Usually, it is a private investor that buys the house and makes the repairs or hires it done. 

It will then have to be inspected to be sold as a new home with a mortgage.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I can tell you that in both Pennsylvania and Florida you can't get a mortgage without a report from a licensed inspector. Our home was a new build and had been inspected as it was being built by the county electrical, plumbing,heat pump installation and all the stuff to be certain it was up to hurricane resistance.But still, before the mortgage company would give the final approval we had to have a licensed inspector. what was odd to me about that was we were using the mortgage company owned by the builder, but they didn't trust their own company.

It's not a matter of trust.  It is following the laws of the state of Florida.  You also have to have an inspection to get homeowners insurance.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

first they found a large area of water damage on the floor - clear through the subfloor and they  - SURPRISE - find the heat pump unit doesn't work and is all rusted out. What I can't help but wonder is - don't they get these homes inspected?

I agree with you .... I always questioned why they don't  pick up the problems before they buy the house! ... they transform really bad homes into really beautiful homes! ... I enjoy the show.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949

I purchased my home in FL in 2013 and no inspection was required except for a wind mitigation and roof inspection for homeowners insurance (which is insane here!!!! As well as auto!$$$).  

I chose to have an inspection done due to all the horror stories about "sinkholes". It was worth the $300 for peace of mind.

Perhaps each area is different but I don't recall it being a condition for the transfer of deed. Actually, coming from NJ with all the rules, fees, inspections, paperwork, etc. this purchase was done thru a title company so quickly I couldn't believe it -- 3 weeks from offer to close!

Moved in next day!

OOPs @151949 I'm sorry didn't see the word mortgage! I would delete my post but doesn't allow me!