Honored Contributor

Re: Which LR do you Prefer & Why?

While the first one looks better, I don't like sitting with my back to the windows.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Definitely picture one, it actually looks like the "after" picture, and picture two looks like the 'before'.

It doesn't look like there's any problem getting through the doors behind th sofa if you look closely. The room is opened up and there's much more seating.

This looks like a family room with the TV up on the wall. So you couldn't have the whole room turned around to face the windows if this was a family room for TV viewing. It just needs some strong pops of color.  The browns may show up as that in person.

Honored Contributor

I prefer #1 because the room looks more centered! Love the windows and fireplace and bookshelves next to fireplace! I don't care for the shelving unit on the far right wall, but otherwise I could move right in! Love this room. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting, at first I liked the first photo, but the second one is interesting because it shows the beautiful doors...it's a stunning room, but I guess my eye prefers pic number 1.  On a side note, my only complaint would be that there is way too much  'stuff' in that room, I didn't know where to look first....to me it's too cluttered.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono  While I do not care for either, my choice would be #2 with the sofa table removed.  I do not like to see doors and windows blocked by furniture.  Once the sofa table is removed, there is room to spread the furniture out a little more and make it look more finished.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I don't like #1 at all.

Couch is overwhelmingly long.  Hard to have a conversation side by side on a couch like that or with others sitting along your *row*, if that's where you get stuck being seated.  The couch is ridiculously oversized for a two or four person grouping.

Also the windows are overwhelming with light.  Hard to talk to someone when they have so much daylight coming in from behind you sometimes.  You'd have to close the drapes or be blinded by the glare.

Cocktail/coffee table doesn't look wine glass friendly (boo hiss).

If that's a TV room (or media room?), TV is too small scale for the seating, half of which is positioned awkwardly sideways.

Room would be nicer without TV, maybe?  Face a smaller couch towards the window view.  Place armchairs in a semi circle, perhaps.  Better tables for drinks, be it water, coffee/tea or cocktails or some other refreshment.  Lets face it, we always offer someone something to drink and bet most of us have a glass or cup of something next to us right now.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't care for shelving units or bookcases in a living room...gives it a cluttered look...I prefer a more open and airy space and also more color.

As another poster mentioned, I also don't like blocking windows with furniture and much prefer having furniture that is arranged with a good view looking out.

I don't care for the ceiling as it also gives the room a more closed in and cluttered look.

So I guess I just don't prefer either one!  lol

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

Actually I'm not a fan of either one but #2 would be doable with some rearranging.  Like others have mentioned, all the furniture is way too close together and should be spread out more.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I'd have to pass on both, too modern for my tastes

If you made me! (LOL) pick one, it would be #2 because it is less crowded, maybe a bit warmer?

Honored Contributor

FWIW, #1 is the "before" and #2 is the redesign.