Honored Contributor

Which Do You Regularly Use On Your Table?

[ Edited ]

For daily meals do you use a cloth table cloth, a cloth place mat, or a plastic place mat?

I have always used cloth place mats for daily meals and most holidays to protect the antique wood.  I have Christmas place mats for every day in December, but I use a red tablecloth for Christmas dinner.

I love the placemats on Etsy!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Which Do You Regularly Use On Your Table?

@ECBG  Our dining room table is usually bare or has woven placemats, if necessary. For holidays, we use a tablecloth. Our kitchen table has a vinyl tablecloth. We usually eat at the kitchen table or at the coffee table in the family room. 

Honored Contributor

Some kind of holiday placemats. Some plastic,some not plastic.

I also have dishes that are holiday themed (some holidays,not all).

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

we have a glass top kitchen table. i always use a tablecloth although i do have some placemats. i just feel like tablecloths are much easier to keep clean and looking good than placemats. 

etsy is a great place to find vintage tablecloths.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

None of the above. Bare kitchen table.  But I usually eat sitting in my recliner, holding my plate.  I eat a lot of salads so they're easy to eat that way. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Only use deep red placemats from BB&B at Christmas. Otherwise, it's just the wood table showing through. When I had our antique farm table refinished, I opted for what was called a "bar" finish that resists water, heat and scratches.

Esteemed Contributor

We use placemats made from cowhide. I also have others. I have several tablecloths but rarely use them anymoreA7F0027C-3485-4208-A455-4EA4AD7D11EC.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a ton of decorative place mats!  I could change them more than monthly. Round glass table in dining room. Always has place mats.

I have console table that pulls out to a dining table that seats 10 (or 12)  I'll use random placemats over a tablecloth.

We eat in front of the tv.  I know bad.....

Honored Contributor

I don't serve daily meals. When it's just me, I eat off a vinyl place mat at the breakfast bar. When eating at the table, I usually use nicer cloth place mats but will occasionally use a table cloth for a special occasion. Since the table has a marble top, there are times I don't use anything.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I have a few cloth placemats, and used them until we had little ones at the table. Now I'm just used to sturdy plastic mats. I always use seasonal ones. 

A few years ago I was on a hunt for spring and summer. I found some nice patterns at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I had to go to two stores to get all of them, but I managed.

DH and I usually eat in the sunroom. I like to use runners on my rectangular table, but DH tends to use one end for magazines and "stuff." I wish he would stop!   Smiley Wink