Esteemed Contributor

Where In The Heck Does All Dust Come From?

I am so tired of dusting!!  It is a losing battle.  DH changes the filters on the furnance 2x a year. The windows have not been open much so far this year.  I do have a cat but even she can't generate that much dust. I am going to buy stock in Swiffer and Pledge.

The worst is cleaning the blades on the ceiling fans. I have one of those long handled dust things but I want  them clean and prefer to dust and then wipe them with a damp cloth. An adventure when neither of us old duffers have perfect balance, step stools are not our friends now. I will have to get DS to stop in and do the blades for us from now on. 

Dusting, don't mind or hate it?

Respected Contributor

Re: Where In The Heck Does All Dust Come From?

Dusting is a thankless task. I might dust once a month if I’m in a good mood. All of our friends, and most of our family, know I’ll never win an award for housekeeping. The food prep surfaces are clean. If we’re expecting guests, we go into red alert mode. If someone surprises us and comments on the dust, I’ll hand them the Swiffer.

Valued Contributor

Absolutely HATE it. Joan Rivers line to explain her distain for dusting was "You dust, and 6 months later you have to do it again". Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I need a transfusion from my DH's niece, she loves to dust and to clean in general.  Of all the things I love cleaning is not one of them. I love a clean house just not the process of getting one.

Honored Contributor

Most of my dust problems went away after I got a different vacuum cleaner. After each vacuuming, usually once weekly, I change out the foam filter and replace it with a clean one. The dirty one goes in the wash. I have 4 of those foam filters so I wash them all at once at the end of the month. I also wash the HEPA filter quarterly instead of yearly like they recommend....not soon enough imo. 

I change my furnace filter quarterly with a dust/allergen reducing filter. That helps quite a bit during the winter months.

If you are using an ultrasonic humidifier, then you might see white dust accumulating on things in the room. So you might want to change to using distilled water instead of using water from your tap.

Also, be sure and check your clothes dryer exhaust hose and look for leaks coming into the house. That will cause a dusty house for sure. 

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I think I have a magical dust fairy making all the dust at my house.  I even switched to dust free cat litter, and we have hot water heat which is to make less dust(ha! ha!).  I haven't  been able to open the windows much yet because of the weather here, but I'm sure when I do more dust will blow in from outside, it just never ends. I vacuum every day because we have three cats, but the dust on my end tables and pretty much everything just keeps reproducing.  I use Pledge and the dusting mitt from QVC, and they sure get a work out.

Trusted Contributor

@country gal  Love Joan's saying, glad you posted it !!!!

Honored Contributor

If you live close to a construction zone...you might as well just get use to all of the dust and give in to dusting more often. That's just the way it is and it's been my experience in that kind of situation, unfortunately.

Esteemed Contributor

I got a Campanelli kit, with "special" dusters and the puppy fur towels.  That would be the answer, I thought (I'm not fond of dusting).

It was, until the novelty wore off.  I use them, and I dust, but only when it suits me or company is coming.  So it's dusty.  It just is.

I wash my furnace filters every month and try to keep the vac filters clean.  That does help.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I change my furnace filter every six weeks with a 10 FPR rating filter and I could still dust every other day. I LOVE the Supercloth's (the European Cleaning Secret, so they claim) I got them from QVC originally but think I got the latest 3 pack from Amazon. Wet them, ring them out good and wipe away. Amazing what they pick up and they last a very long time. They feel quite like a shammy.