Honored Contributor

Re: When purging nets no loss

I love the idea of that small chair next to the coat closet.  That's where we would sit to take off our shoes.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I differ from previous advice and love seeing all the wood. No cushions for me.

@AuntG

I specifically bought the piece for it's quarter sawn oak and the beauty of the wood, which really isn't picked up in the photo (my phone was cheap and the camera isn't very good).

Padded rockers are all the rage right now, and it is near impossible in this area, to find an old fashioned plain wood rocker. As I stated, I had hoped to find something with a bit more colonial flair, but this is big and comfortable, and the wood is really stunning in person. Plus it is Amish made, so made in USA.

Oak is 'out' according to many, but I'll never get over my love of oak, especially with a bit darker stain or the aged patina found in the old antique pieces.

Cushions and pads on rockers take away from the intrinsic beauty of the shape and wood grain. If someone needs them for comfort, that is all good, but the search for a rocker that was well designed took some time, but I found it. This has a good curvature in the lower lumbar area of the back and supports the lower back very well. The seat is very wide and deep, so tall people don't feel like they are sitting on the edge of something, without the seat extending fully under the bend of the knee. 

Like most furniture, it was a challenge to combine the look I wanted with the comfort one seeks, but this one had enough of both, especially for the price.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Love the new chair @Mominohio- no cushions for me either. I like it just the way it is. I also like the small chair behind it. 

@gidgetgh

Thanks! The small chair behind it is a good 6 feet back and part of an entry way of sorts, I've tried to create as there is no foyer, the door just opens into the room. When this room is arranged as it is today, the seating is all focused away from that entry door, and the staircase at the other end of that side of the room, to give a good open space and flow to the stairs and the kitchen entrance. 

My living room is very large for the style and age of the home, and it is the first place I've had that I can really rearrange things in several different ways. I like being able to do that.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

That rocker looks both comfortable and supportive, @Mominohio

I, for one, like the feel of sturdy slats against my spine.  (Seriously.)

You're so right about choosing something today and fairly soon seeing more and more.  

At first I thought your thread would be about removing things but not seeing a difference.  Like in my house, I had books in double rows, one behind the other (where they'd fit), so when I donated a lot of books to the library, my bookcase didn't look much different!

@GingerPeach

Boy are you right on about how sometimes donating/removing even half of the things from some space makes it look no better, or sometimes even more full than when we started. I seem to have that happen often!

And I guess the comfort of a firm chair isn't something everyone can relate to but when you have lower back issues, a firm seat with good lumbar support is sometimes the only comfort you can get. So many chairs and sofas today are super soft and over stuffed, and I can't sit long term in them, or my lower back and hips are screaming! (showing my age!). I sustained an injury as a teen, and it has bothered my all my life, so seating is something I give a lot of consideration to!

Esteemed Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

The small chair looks like it's been punished.  

@TenderMercies  This made me LoL.

Too many accidents on the carpet, perhaps?

I'm thinking of punishing the recliner I use as a coat rack.  Every time I recline in it I feel like I'm about to be catapulted off.  I will make it sit on the curb until someone kidnaps it.  That oughta teach it.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Yes, purging doesn't work unless you stay out of stores.Replacing  what you purge with something new leaves you in a negative bottom line because your room is still full AND you spent money.

My room isn't too full, and I'd been on a quest for an all wood rocker for several years. The piece I removed was in mint condition and something my mom was wanting for in her bedroom for years. One piece in, one piece out. So two happy people!

So yes, I spent money, and I was ecstatic to do so, finally finding something I had searched for for years. It wasn't an impulse buy. Purging is not going to stop people from replacing things as needed, or making purchases of things they love or want in the future. It's about making your space comfortable and usable, not the end of buying things for the rest of your life.  But I think you know that, or you'd not replace the sofa you were posting about, but simply dispose of it and leave an empty space in the room.

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

I'm thinking of punishing the recliner I use as a coat rack.  Every time I recline in it I feel like I'm about to be catapulted off.  I will make it sit on the curb until someone kidnaps it.  That oughta teach it.

@mistriTsquirrel

You are funny! If I was a piece of furniture, I wouldn't mess with you! LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

You are funny! If I was a piece of furniture, I wouldn't mess with you! LOL

@Mominohio Your response here speaks volumes to your ability as a home decorator.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Mominohio@Is the small wood chair your sons from when he was younger?You are all set with the perfect rocker for the grandchildren one day in the future.I have been looking at rockers now that my son is getting married and hope that someday soon I will have the most special need for that chair.

@dex

The small wood chair in the background isn't as small as this shot makes it look. It is about the size of a petite dining chair and something I picked up at Goodwill many years ago for just a couple of dollars.

This rocker is suited well to rocking babies! The arms are wide and sturdy for bracing your arms. I remember how heavy my son would feel when rocking for that 2 am feeding. 

In this area, the Amish are making these really large rockers with great padding, I'll post a picture of one if I can, and if I had babies again I'd have one in the nursery. They are super comfortable, and everywhere I looked for an all wood rocker, they tried to talk me into one of them. 

I didn't care for the look of them, regardless of how much I liked the fabric, for this particular room. Some of them even have a foot rest type thing that slides out from underneath.

I hope you get to rock a grandchild in the future and find the perfect rocker to embrace the both of you.

This is one version of the ones that are so popular here. Very comfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio. There's an Amish furniture store not far from me. They have several builders and she does carry rockers on the floor. I haven't seen that style of padded rocker here but my BFF has a similar one.

I had to ask if oak wood is "out" what is the "in" thing now?  I've seen a few pieces in elm or hemlock at this store, mostly in gray finishes. Elm can be as pricey as cherry!  Lumber is at an all time high right now. 

Oh yeah, loving the sleigh bells! Did you get those locally? I had a shorter strap in brass that I'd like to replace.