Honored Contributor

Re: When purging nets no loss

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Mominohio. There's an Amish furniture store not far from me. They have several builders and she does carry rockers on the floor. I haven't seen that style of padded rocker here but my BFF has a similar one.

I had to ask if oak wood is "out" what is the "in" thing now?  I've seen a few pieces in elm or hemlock at this store, mostly in gray finishes. Elm can be as pricey as cherry!  Lumber is at an all time high right now. 

Oh yeah, loving the sleigh bells! Did you get those locally? I had a shorter strap in brass that I'd like to replace.

@Snowpuppy

I too have noticed a lot of new grey finishes in wood furniture in the Amish stores. Although I don't decorate in greys, I will admit, I'm liking those finishes a lot.

I have to say, that living among the Amish and buying from their stores in Holmes county for well over 30 years now (which is quite a bit away from the communities which live in our area and those in our area don't really make and sell much furniture), The styles and woods of their furniture offerings have changed, especially in the last 10 or so years. 

Many of the manufacturers we frequent were slow to get into more expensive and exotic woods, and more current styles. Many stayed in the country oak realm way too long. We are even seeing Amish furniture stores spring up that are almost exclusively modern in designs and finishes. They had to adjust to the style more people were seeking to stay in business.

And the sleigh bells, I've had since before my son was born 22 years ago. As I remember I got them somewhere in our visits to the Amish area, but I can't remember just where. 

We told him we found them on Christmas morning when he was a baby, out in the snow after Santa and the reindeer had been here. I miss the days of having a child that is young enough to 'believe'. I hung them on the door for the holidays many years ago, and after a time, they just kind of stayed there. Until someone mentions them, I forget they are there!

They were new when purchases, not an antique set from a real sleigh, though they are looking very aged now!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

The small chair looks like it's been punished.  

@TenderMercies  This made me LoL.

Too many accidents on the carpet, perhaps?

I'm thinking of punishing the recliner I use as a coat rack.  Every time I recline in it I feel like I'm about to be catapulted off.  I will make it sit on the curb until someone kidnaps it.  That oughta teach it.

@mistriTsquirrel

You are funny! If I was a piece of furniture, I wouldn't mess with you! LOL

@mistriTsquirrel

That's the funniest thing I've read all day!  Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Such a beautiful rocking chair @Mominohio. You have such a lovely home. Enjoy the many years ahead in your lovely new rocker....