Valued Contributor

I agree that there is not enough contrast in the room.  Everything just sort of blends together.

Respected Contributor

Re: What’s Wrong?

[ Edited ]

I actually like this room set up. The only thing I would do is add some window treatment. It would add some grounding. So it would not look as if every thing can float away and it would reduce some glare from the large windows. Aside from that, I like the spacial feeling it presents.

Honored Contributor

Scale does seem to be an issue, I wonder if it could by the type of lens or something used.

The curio needs to be set kitty cornered to fill the space, and make it look less 'slapped against the wall'. 

Some window treatments might bring the room in a bit too. Not too much, a valance and swag at the most, to keep the beautiful windows showing and light in.

Occasional Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@wilma The scale is way off as well as the furniture placement.  Why shove all the furniture close to the window???  The rug is way too small for the room.  The curio cabinet looks is all wrong on that wall. The bench's arms are way too high to be comfortable and does not work with the metal and glass tables. The metal end table and coffee tables are the right size for the room but not for the sofa and love seat.  This is a large room and they should have taken that into consideration instead of using furniture from a smaller space and not adding to it.  The windows allow a tremendous amount of light into the room and seems to wash out whatever wall color was used.  A work in progress?????????  If so, progress better hurry up!

Was waiting to see if somebody would say something about that out of place rug.It throws everything in the room off. They need to lose the rug and go from there.That rug was the first thing I noticed as being out of place and not right for that room.Throws everything else off trying to play to the rug.Oh well, that's my two cents worth.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I actually like the feel of the room -- the colors are my house.  My accent pieces are in the blue color family.

It just seems to need some "accent" color or something to bring it to life...and of course, get rid of that ugly bench😉 & coffee table looks to big.

I'd rearrange furniture for sure🙂

Honored Contributor

I love the lemony cream color on the walls. I don't have to have vivid blues to make me happy.

Maybe some sage colored velvet armchairs flanking the window with a lamp table in between.  (If that's a color that can be pulled from the rug--can't see the rug clearly.)

Facing the couch and the chair and a half on the sidelines would be great for conversation.

The curio cabinet is too large for the short wall it's against.   Place it somewhere else and the weird bench and oval table could compliment it.

Honored Contributor

The spindly legged furniture doesn't add any bulk.  Love the windows without curtains.

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

Do you think something is wrong with this room? 

The first thing I thought of was scale. The furniture seems much too small for the large space, or maybe there needs to be more furnishings. 

I’m also thinking there’s not enough contrast. The furniture seems to blend in with the wall color and rug. 

I’m not really loving most of the furnishings in the room either. I like the lamps and curio. The windows are very nice, but I need some kind of window treatment on them. 

3BE2951C-5D69-497D-986A-B7EC83647D2D.jpeg

@wilma   With an artist's eye, the room needs some contrast in color, maybe darker throw pillows and different throw over the ottoman. I'd move the sofa all away from the wall into the room and definitely you need larger pieces of furniture. You could do a darker paint color w/ lighter upholstered pieces or the reverse with lighter walls. The room looks quite large. You may also want to consider a focal point. I don't see a fireplace, but you can do built-ins or a large credenza with a grouping of paintings over it to catch your eye. Something needs to anchor the room like a darker rug if you keep this lighter furniture. Hope I didn't offend, but you asked.

Honored Contributor

Not a fan over all but LOVE the size of the room and there are endless possiblities

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@wilma wrote:

Do you think something is wrong with this room? 

The first thing I thought of was scale. The furniture seems much too small for the large space, or maybe there needs to be more furnishings. 

I’m also thinking there’s not enough contrast. The furniture seems to blend in with the wall color and rug. 

I’m not really loving most of the furnishings in the room either. I like the lamps and curio. The windows are very nice, but I need some kind of window treatment on them. 

3BE2951C-5D69-497D-986A-B7EC83647D2D.jpeg

@wilma   With an artist's eye, the room needs some contrast in color, maybe darker throw pillows and different throw over the ottoman. I'd move the sofa all away from the wall into the room and definitely you need larger pieces of furniture. You could do a darker paint color w/ lighter upholstered pieces or the reverse with lighter walls. The room looks quite large. You may also want to consider a focal point. I don't see a fireplace, but you can do built-ins or a large credenza with a grouping of paintings over it to catch your eye. Something needs to anchor the room like a darker rug if you keep this lighter furniture. Hope I didn't offend, but you asked.

@Shanus 

No offense taken. It’s not my house. I agree with many of your comments.