Honored Contributor

Re: What do you do at home you might not expect to see elsewhere?

@sisselwrote:

Oh faerie you can have so much fun with the elephant, Christmas wrap lights around it, easter put bunny ears on it 4th of july do fun stuff add more attention to it & enjoy. LOL Your husband must have went to great lengths to find it, he must love you so much.

I don't want to insult her dignity with that kind of thing.  For too many years elephants have been "decorated" and used as servants for human bidding.  I follow the goings on of many elephant sanctuaries around the world, and when I read sad things about them I go and hug Hathini.

Sounds weird, I know.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoonwrote:

@sisselwrote:

Oh faerie you can have so much fun with the elephant, Christmas wrap lights around it, easter put bunny ears on it 4th of july do fun stuff add more attention to it & enjoy. LOL Your husband must have went to great lengths to find it, he must love you so much.

I don't want to insult her dignity with that kind of thing.  For too many years elephants have been "decorated" and used as servants for human bidding.  I follow the goings on of many elephant sanctuaries around the world, and when I read sad things about them I go and hug Hathini.

Sounds weird, I know.

@faeriemoon  I do not think that's weird at all.  I too love elephants and try my best to help in the conservation and anti-poaching efforts around the world.  I foster two elephants via the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (DSWT).  They are magnificent animals!

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopperwrote:

@faeriemoonwrote:

@sisselwrote:

Sounds weird, I know.

@faeriemoon  I do not think that's weird at all.  I too love elephants and try my best to help in the conservation and anti-poaching efforts around the world.  I foster two elephants via the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (DSWT).  They are magnificent animals!

Good for you!!  The poaching and hunting just kills me. I will look into the Trust you mentioned.  I closely follow the efforts of the Reteti Elephant Sanctuary in Northern Kenya.  

On another sad note.  The last surviving male Northern White Rhino died last week (of illness associated with old age.)  The species had been decimated by poachers.

@Caaareful Shopper

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopperwrote:

About 10 years ago, I donated my mixed-matched (but good condition) dinnerware, drinkware, and flatware.  I decided to only use the "good stuff."  No more keeping all my nicest things for only holidays, or just when guests arrive.  I already had special dinnerware and flatware stored away, so once I purchased the variety of syles of glasses, that's all I use, every day. 

It's usually just me here, but I am not saving the finer things in life any longer.

I love this @Caaareful Shopper!  We should all use our "best" for ourselves.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoonwrote:

@Caaareful Shopperwrote:

@faeriemoonwrote:

@sisselwrote:

Sounds weird, I know.

Good for you!!  The poaching and hunting just kills me. I will look into the Trust you mentioned.  I closely follow the efforts of the Reteti Elephant Sanctuary in Northern Kenya.  

On another sad note.  The last surviving male Northern White Rhino died last week (of illness associated with old age.)  The species had been decimated by poachers.

@Caaareful Shopper

@ I will look up Reteti Elephant Sanctuary as well, thank you.  Yes, I read about the last male White Rhino -- 43 or 45 years old, I believe.  They are hoping they can inseminate female rhinos to protect the species, but they do not sound hopeful.  Very sad.

Updated:  I'm silly.  I already follow r.e.s.c.u.e for elephants on Intsagram.  I forgot that's actually the Reteti Elephant Sanctuary Community United for Elephants.  I've been following them for a while.  They have female Keepers along with male Keepers.  The DSWT only has male Keepers right now.  My wildest dream is to become a Keeper, or at least travel there to volunteer for a while!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not only can I not walk barefoot, I won't even take one step without a shoe (for instance, going from my bed to turn on the fan which is just out of arm's reach) with the one exception, of course, being on the beach.

Also, and without exception, the first thing I do when I get home is wash my hands prior to doing/touching anything else.  I think this is more than likely related to my nursing profession, as well as being a germaphobe (also related to my career).  Surely a little OCD involved here too...

Honored Contributor

@dmk2wrote:

Not only can I not walk barefoot, I won't even take one step without a shoe (for instance, going from my bed to turn on the fan which is just out of arm's reach).

I don't walk barefoot either. I have indoor crocs and always have on some type of sock. The only place I will go barefoot is on the beach.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

@dmk2wrote:

Not only can I not walk barefoot, I won't even take one step without a shoe (for instance, going from my bed to turn on the fan which is just out of arm's reach).

I don't walk barefoot either. I have indoor crocs and always have on some type of sock. The only place I will go barefoot is on the beach.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like to go barefoot.  My family thinks it's kind of strange. 

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi  I apologize but when I read your 1st reply I was taken back.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopperwrote:

About 10 years ago, I donated my mixed-matched (but good condition) dinnerware, drinkware, and flatware.  I decided to only use the "good stuff."  No more keeping all my nicest things for only holidays, or just when guests arrive.  I already had special dinnerware and flatware stored away, so once I purchased the variety of syles of glasses, that's all I use, every day. 

It's usually just me here, but I am not saving the finer things in life any longer.

@Caaareful Shopper

Speaking as someone who loves her "stuff," what you did takes tremendous fortitude.  I applaud you!  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.