Super Contributor

I was going to order the South Loft weighted Blanket they showed on HSN today but it says "spot clean"....At some point don't you need to wash this? Won't it start to smell? Can it be Dry Cleaned? Does anyone own one of these? Thanks for any info and help!

Honored Contributor

@KayinMN. I've wondered the same thing because all the weighted blankets I've seen are not washable.  Don't know about dry cleaning.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I've been thinking about getting a weighted blanket and when I did some browsing, I noticed that some come with a cover. I'd imagine that part is washable. I think you can also buy a cover separately.

Occasional Contributor

I own one (Sharper Image brand) . The blankets usually come with a cotton blend cover and that can be washed.

Honored Contributor

@KayinMN,  the "Blanquil" I got from QVC has a removable cover so you can wash it.  It washes up very nicely and you slip it back on over the internal core, which I think has tiny "stones" in it or something.

Have had the blanket for well over a year, and love it!  It's not oppressive, just a comforting weight, that helps me relax and sleep.

Trusted Contributor

It's interesting to me how "weighted" blankets are now the new discovery.  Since childhood, I've always needed some "weight" on me no matter how hot the weather is.  I've always just used a good quality 100% cotton quilt.  It is weighty, pretty, and washable all at the same time.

Valued Contributor

I have two weighted blankets that are 15 lb each.

I bought one before they became popular and use that one on top of sheets or a comforter because the item is something that does not have a removable cover. The second I bought last year and it does have a removable cover. That one I can wash the cover. 

I love these items. 

The original one stated that it can be washed by hand. I would not dare put it in my washer because I do not want to break the washer. So that is why I use it on top of the sheets or blankets or a comforter. I have also aired it out when it was warmer outside.

Valued Contributor

I bought one from Amazon several years ago. Washed it, dried it right after receipt. No problem. Doesn't have a cover, and it is between sheets and comforter.

Honored Contributor

I have used a double-ply 'mink blanket' on my bed forever. I have no idea how much it weighs but it's heavy and also warm and washable. My MIL saw it and wanted one but when she slept under it she couldn't handle the weight. She bought it b/c it looked so soft and luxurious...like fur but it weighs a lot. We have a mink blanket store here and they have all kinds and not just heavy ones but lightweight ones, too. They are so pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee :  When I lived in S.Korea it wasn't unusual to see mink blankets washed outside in the stream and pounded over rocks.  These blankets are beautiful and indestructible.