Respected Contributor

Re: Wedding china compromise

@Sooner wrote:

NOTE:  I have kept some of the salad plates of various sets.  They are useful for desserts and salads and don't take up lots of space.

Creamers hold small makeup brushes or forks.  Sauce boats are useful for gravy and sauces and salad dressings. Small dishes serve ice cream and salsas, and m&m's and candies!  Big bowls are good for fruit and potato chips.

@Sooner   Great ideas.

Respected Contributor

If I was ACTUALLY ever going to use it, I would keep 8 place settings,

No need to concern yourself with how many settings are left to donate.

I am not sentimental about chine - it’s dishes.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl   I have the only answer:  Do what YOU want with it!  

If you want it all, keep it all.  You will find room for it.  If you want only some of it, keep some of it.  Do what YOU want to do with it.

1.  You are not a museum.  When I figured that out, my life got a LOT better.

2.  No matter how hard grandma worked on something, if you don't want it, get rid of it.   It doesn't do her any good, make you remember her fondly, or make her closer to you.

3.  DO NOT WORRY about what people at the consignment store will want.  Whatever it is, throw it in the trash, consign it, give it away or donate it.  Just DO NOT feel guilty about whatever you do.

4.  It is yours now.  You are the one who owns it, and you are under no obligation to store it, dust it, make room for it or have it is your life.  Don't you think grandma threw out stuff she didn't want?  You bet she did!  If you can pawn it off on someone else, feel free!  LOL!!!  If not, get rid of it. 

Having cleaned out FOUR households now, I understand we may be our brother's keeper; but we are NOT keepers of our brother's stuff!  

Should you need more support, just let me know!  

Sincerely,

Miss "been there done that with other people's junk."

Ditto .  100%

Trusted Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

I think people have a hard time getting rid of things because they feel like they're dishonoring someone's memory.

I'm not so attached to items as others seem to be.  It gives me no pleasure to hold on to things and try to find a place to keep it all.  I still have the memory without all the clutter.  

Me too.  I'm not attached to stuff. I think it really bugs my mother that I don't want the things she has saved forever.

Believe me - I know how that is.

Smiley Happy

Me, too.  I anger my mother a lot.  The things I do want she won't part with and gets mad when I don't want other things.  I know the things that bring me happy memories and they aren't just having "stuff".

We are in the same boat.  MIL has emotional attachment to everything and gets mad when we suggest she clean stuff out.  Every once in a while she will bring a "treasure" over to our house which I usually promptly get rid of because I don't have space.

When my parents downsized last year.  They had tons of stuff that was my great grandparents from their wedding.  There were a few items I wanted but I didn't have space so let it go to the estate sale.

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom  As talented and clever that you are, I was thinking, can't you think of some way to use them in gardens. Your gardens could use something pretty in them(not).  Mosiac tables ,birdbaths, things like that.Woman Very Happy

Lamps out of cups and saucers? Pinterest has some really great uses for china.----------tedEbear

Esteemed Contributor

@tedEbear , I have found a home outside my home for a lot of dishes.  When I installed plantation shutters, I sold a lot of my curtains.  They were fairly expensive and in very good condition.  In that process, I met a family who had only been in Canada for two days.  They were from Nigeria.  I wound up giving them the curtains and a lot of surplus dishes, cutlery, kitchen stuff, etc that we didn’t use anymore.  Good for them, good for us.  They had three young children so were appreciative of the donations.  

The mosaic is a nice idea.  I will file that one away until I finish my quilt and start gardening seriously this season.  Thanks for the suggestion!  LM

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom----What a wonderful, thoughtful thing to do!!!!!!!!!-------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

I would keep it IF you actually like the pattern, but if you’re just going to store it away, I would part with it since it’s unlikely you’ll want to unpack it for the few times you’d use it.