Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding china compromise

To the question of how you get rid of China, kitchen items, etc.  Many churches and maybe some schools have "flea markets" where they sell items.  You give it to them and they use the money they make for church/school projects, etc.  I know one here that it's a big annual event.  Was interesting to see what is donated:  sets of China, old jewelry, bread machines, other cookware and just about anything you can think of.  Some charities may take the China too.   I see sets here at the American Cancer Society Discovery Shop.

Trusted Contributor

Maybe you could just keep some of the plates? Those would be fairly easy to store and you could use them anytime you served a special meal. Sounds like you wouldn't use all the extra serving dishes  in the set anyway. But do what your heart tells you to do. I know how hard it is to let go of things from our parents. If you do donate, try to keep something from the set for your memories. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Looking for votes or suggestions.

I have my parents wedding china and DH and I are looking to downsize.

We have no one to leave the china to and no one in the family wants it.

So my compromise was that we keep a complete place-setting for 7.  We never have more than 6 guests at a time for a sit down meal and if we do- "oh well"   

My thought was we will have 6 placesettings with one extra of everything in case of breakage.  

The rest we donate.

Some say keep it all or donate it all.  Thoughts? 

I seem to be in the minority here, but I like your compromise. I wouldn't worry about donating only a full set.  Lots of people don't want or need so many pieces, and you should keep however many you want without being concerned about that.

Your idea makes a lot of sense to me.  :-)

Respected Contributor

If you have to keep it boxed up I would get rid of it. You would be surprised at the number of complete sets they have at Goodwill. 

Honored Contributor

I feel that the OP will regret getting rid of her parents wedding china! I would keep it. I retired and moved, downsizing, about 4 years ago. Sure I had to "re-home" a lot of my things but for a family heirloom, I'd keep it. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Looking for votes or suggestions.

I have my parents wedding china and DH and I are looking to downsize.

We have no one to leave the china to and no one in the family wants it.

So my compromise was that we keep a complete place-setting for 7.  We never have more than 6 guests at a time for a sit down meal and if we do- "oh well"   

My thought was we will have 6 placesettings with one extra of everything in case of breakage.  

The rest we donate.

Some say keep it all or donate it all.  Thoughts? 

I think that's a good idea. You know your dining patterns and needs better than anyone else. 

I have my mother's china set and all the extra serving pieces fill several jammed cupboards. We no longer host the big holiday dinners in which there's a need for three gravy boats, four water pitchers, and an armada of covered butter dishes and serving platters. 

It's sad to see all that china go unused. Yet it's even sadder to see these sets which were so precious to our mothers and grandmothers sell for a pittance on ebay or go unsold at thrift stores and Goodwills. 

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  Do what you want and what makes you feel comfortable.  If you want to keep 7 settings then do so and start using it all the time.  Enjoy it.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

When I downsized I just kept saying to myself “ I am not leaving this stuff thinking someone would want it”  It was hard letting so much go. Fast forward three years and I don’t even miss it or have any regrets. Let it go. 

Respected Contributor

Just another suggestion. You could set your table with it, take a picture and then pack it up and off to a new home. You will be able to look at the picture whenever you want to, it would always be with you. @Abrowneyegirl 

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   I have the only answer:  Do what YOU want with it!  

If you want it all, keep it all.  You will find room for it.  If you want only some of it, keep some of it.  Do what YOU want to do with it.

1.  You are not a museum.  When I figured that out, my life got a LOT better.

2.  No matter how hard grandma worked on something, if you don't want it, get rid of it.   It doesn't do her any good, make you remember her fondly, or make her closer to you.

3.  DO NOT WORRY about what people at the consignment store will want.  Whatever it is, throw it in the trash, consign it, give it away or donate it.  Just DO NOT feel guilty about whatever you do.

4.  It is yours now.  You are the one who owns it, and you are under no obligation to store it, dust it, make room for it or have it is your life.  Don't you think grandma threw out stuff she didn't want?  You bet she did!  If you can pawn it off on someone else, feel free!  LOL!!!  If not, get rid of it. 

Having cleaned out FOUR households now, I understand we may be our brother's keeper; but we are NOT keepers of our brother's stuff!  

Should you need more support, just let me know!  

Sincerely,

Miss "been there done that with other people's junk."