Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: We Have Argued About That Mower. . .

@Hoovermom wrote:

This is way over my head Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy.

@Hoovermom   Ha ha!  Me too!  I never took an interest in how our lawn mower works so I have no idea! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

If what you were doing wasn't working, got to change. I run the mower dry and fill it with new gas in the spring.  No problems starting it.

Esteemed Contributor

I meant to add, @Susan Louise - you are a newlywed!  (though we married in 1998)

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

If what you were doing wasn't working, got to change. I run the mower dry and fill it with new gas in the spring.  No problems starting it.

Well, @GCR18 , must be a husband problem (kidding!  I'm very lucky but I know this longitude and latitude better than he does)

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

This is way over my head Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy.

Another great laugh for the day!

@Johnnyeager 's "dress bunching" earlier had the award (regarding the untimely demise of a newish host).

All hilarity aside, I am glad our mower is working.  DH will be away for a short time, and though I really don't encourage lawns (more of a naturalist, lawns are antithesis) I do have some, and I have to admit the place looks better when the turf is clipped.

Absolutely no "manscaping", though.  What's the point?  Well, I could use the mower, I guess.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'd rather have a lawn service than a maid.  And we do!

Contributor

I had medical problems  (am a widow) and Brother insisted that I hire a company to mow, trim and edge my yard once every two weeks because he lives 300 miles away.  I was pushed into the change many years ago and love it.    It only takes 2 workers about 15 minutes from start to finish.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On the subject of adding Stabil, I always do that with the ride-on lawn mower, snowblower and generator.  It depends on what you're using for fuel, but with regular gasoline, it prevents the ethanol in it from gunkng up the fuel lines and engine.

Ethanol gasoline absorbs more moisture (up to 50%) than regular gas. The absorbed water causes separation and hence the problems.  No point in getting more technical here but, if you have small engines that are only used seasonally, either drain the tanks or add a stabilizer.

Ethanol was not always added to gasoline, but it is now and it's not for our benefit.

@Sweetbay magnolia- I'm right there with you!  My DH just doesn't bother to do any regular maintenance and I've learned to either do it myself or live with the (expensive) consequences.

(Oh yeah - and his attitude, when our expensive ride-on mower broke down last summer was "buy a new one".  Well, no we didn't, but it cost nearly $1000 to get it overhauled.  Still thousands cheaper than a new one of the same quality, but....)

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@panda1234   That's about how long I expect them to do our lawn...meanwhile it takes DH hours! Smiley Happy

@haddon9  Same here, it took him over an hour. We are just amazed at how the crew of 3 decend on our lawn and are gone in 15 mins.