Esteemed Contributor

We Have Argued About That Mower. . .

DH and I have had differences of opinion on how to overwinter the lawn mower (and paid $$$ to have them fixed, to buy new ones - you get it).  He would not listen to reason until last fall, when I instituted (and insisted on) what I consider to be correct protocol.  Guess what?  She started right up and is singing sweetly, right now.

I did a happy dance in the driveway and it totally ticked him off, but come on!  Every year prior we have had problems.  Engine cranked up with no hesitation!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: We Have Argued About That Mower. . .

I'm trying to talk my DH into having the lawn done this year.  He's not well and hates mowing & edging!  It will usualy take him two days to do it....one for the front and the other the back.  I think we should just get someone to do it for us.

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   so spill. what was the correct protocol??

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   Feels good to win one every once in awile, doesn't it?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK - run the mower out of gas, then refill with stabilizer added to fresh gasoline.  Run the engine 3-5 minutes to allow the stabilizer to work through the carburetor and the rest of the parts.  Leave a full tank in the mower over the winter.

Start it and run it in the spring.

OMG he just came in to pee and when he went back out the thing started up like a honey.  I swear he just did that to challenge me.

Of course, oil should be checked and air filter clean (we did that last year, also).

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia, good for you. Its nice when they start right up and don't need to be worked on, whether your hubby is doing it or you have to take it and have it serviced.

Esteemed Contributor

My hubby did all those steps except fill the tank for the winter.  That may keep moisture from collecting in the line; but he left it empty after using the stabilizer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  When I get gas for the mowers, I add Stabil to that gas before I put it in the mower.  I don't have to worry about putting Stabil in at the end of the season.  

Glad yours fired up.  Fingers crossed it runs all season.  

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

A friend called to say she and her DH were fighting about a lawn mower. She thinks a small push mower should start with a key and he says simple mowers only have recoil pulls. Funny what they argue about.

Esteemed Contributor

Right, @fthunt - at the risk of getting all geeky, there are different schools of thought regarding whether to keep the engine full or not - my gut said to keep a displacement engine full.

I didn't drive a '65 Beetle for nothing.

Cogito ergo sum