Honored Contributor

I bought a new washer a little over a year ago. The tub is the kind you have to almost crawl into to get all the clothes. So if you fill the tub with clothes it is one heavy tub.

Which do you think is better for the wear and tear on the washer - frequent smaller loads of clothes or fill the tub with clothes and wash less frequently.

Honored Contributor

If it's HE, it won't fill high with water unless you say it's a bulky load.  

Sometimes, I have to split the towel load into two. It knocks it off balance if too much/too heavy.  It doesn't beep to let me know it's off balance.  I have to go to the basement too, it's not on this level, so I can't just take a few steps over and look in the top. (Sears).

Honored Contributor

I actually don’t consider the weight factor unless I’m washing rugs, but I do consider the size of the load with my colored clothing because I want there to be enough  room for good washing action.   I often split that load as well as towels to insure an efficient wash cycle.   

Honored Contributor

I almost always use the "large" or "extra large" load feature.  I'm more concerned about water conservation and energy use than I am about the wear and tear on the washer.  I think they are built to handle heavy loads or at least that has been my experience.  

Respected Contributor

I don't know which is better, but I also have a very deep washer that I can't touch the bottom of because I'm too short. I bought two grabber tools the day I bought the washing machine and they are great for pulling the small things out of the washer so I can put them in the dryer.

Ettore 36-in Grip'n Grab Reaching Tool

Honored Contributor

Yes it is HE. There are at least 12 settings. And the "normal" setting, you are lucky if there is 6 inches of water for a full load.  i

I have a step stool in front of the washer, so I can reach in and get all the clothes. The designer must have been over 6 feet tall. When I was looking at all the different washers before I bought the one I finally decided to get, I could not  reach the bottom or even get close to the bottom of any washer.

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I are retired....all I know is that I need to wash my clothes once a week and it's always a half to three-quarter load for the most part. DH would wait until he could cram as many clothes in as possible! I don't like huge loads because they take too long to dry and I don't want the extra heat from the dryer in the summer. I don't think 3 or 4 medium size loads per week make much difference to the life-cycle of a wash machine. Younger families with a load or two of laundry daily might think differently!

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

I don't know which is better, but I also have a very deep washer that I can't touch the bottom of because I'm too short. I bought two grabber tools the day I bought the washing machine and they are great for pulling the small things out of the washer so I can put them in the dryer.

Ettore 36-in Grip'n Grab Reaching Tool

I have the one that was my dad's, and it's great for getting the dog's balls from under furniture.  Have a knee that isn't happy to bend.

Esteemed Contributor

I have the HE model of a washer and dryer. I usually only fill it 3/4 full with the heavy items (towels, sheets, etc.) unless it's a comforter. My model has a self leveling feature which is nice.  i try not to overload it. I would rather split the loads with the heavy items so it doens't go out of balance or bang around. I have mine on top of the storage drawers so it's easier to get the heavy loads out.