Respected Contributor

I am interested in those window treatments/blinds that are powered (and can use remote control).  That also go up or down from top or bottom.  I have 4 large windows in my eat in kitchen area and 3 large windows in the family room I'd like to have done.  Anyone have any experience with these?  Are they any good?  Just how expensive are they? (I'm already cringing at what they may cost).  I just moved to the Southeast last summer and I'm hoping to cut down on the sun during the day (I think it's fading my furniture and hardwood flooring) and hopefully cut down on heating and air costs.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  TIA!

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy I put the remote window treatments in my bedroom under 2 years ago.  One window is a sliding door which goes out to the balcony and the other is a floor to ceiling window.  I put black out shades underneath to block out the morning sun.  So far so good and are working just fine!

I do have Hunter Douglas "pireoutte's" as well in the kitchen (3 floor to ceiling windows)

but they are are not on remote as Hunter Douglas is so expensive!  There are many companies out there that just as good quality as Hunter Douglas for 50 percent less.

Best to get some free estimates.

I love them! ISyb3ay7rfyk4r0000000000.jpgIS6i5mgevn6i4r0000000000.jpg

Honored Contributor

I looked at the Hunter Douglas Duet honeycomb motorized top down bottom up shades for my home. I got sticker shocked so bad that I did not pursue them. I live in Colorado and the sun here is very intense...fades everything and its so hot. I was looking to save money on my heating and cooling costs and thought maybe window shades could be the answer. But honestly, it was too much of an investment to warrant the energy savings on my heating and cooling costs. What I did eventually get was new windows. It was a decision I do not regret and I will boost the value of my home. Window coverings do not. 

I have purchased the non-motorized Hunter Douglas TDBU shades for many of my windows and they also help with the heating and cooling savings on top of my new windows. I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy, look at blindsdotcom....I get my blinds from them, great service and will send samples.  All my blinds are bottom up, top down but I DO NOT have remote control.