Super Contributor

Can anyone suggest a GOOD brand of window candles?  The battery operated ones?

I had some VPH over the years, also Bethlehem Lights, but the batteries never lasted long, and its alot of work when you have to constantly change the batteries.

Not just from the Q....any store, if you have any suggestions!!

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick  The latest version of BL battery operated candles last really long. They say a whole year, but I think they start to dim before the end of the year. However, they last MUCH longer than the older versions. We replaced our original BL two years ago, and are very happy with them. But, we bought our DD the newest version, and they are even better.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago I bought multiple sets of BL window candles, and still enjoy using them today.  

However, it became evident right away the candles could not be on the window sills, as my husband kept knocking them off by pulling the curtains back!   

I use the candles in all rooms of the house as nightlights now.   I haven't replaced batteries for more than a year.   

Honored Contributor

I created a hybrid set to satisfy my likes. 

I bought the VPH candles, with the metal oval base. They were pricey, but I loved the heavy base, and how small it was because I have very narrow sills. 

I didn't like the plastic or the light bulb, so I bought the Candle Impressions tapers in ivory and put them in the VPH holders. They glow a much more realistic color and look. The batteries (I buy Duracell Quantum) last from Thanksgiving through spring time when we have to take them down to open the windows for air (no air conditioning). 

I've used these for at least three years now and only on is broke, and that is because I dropped it. The 'flame' bent but it still lights up just fine. 

I honestly would prefer electric candles, and that is what I had for years, but I got so tired of extension cords strung all over rooms to get a candle in each and every window. I sacrificed the length of time I have them up (used to use them from October through April at least) in order to get a cleaner look. I run them till they batteries give out and don't replace them till the next fall. The trade off of less time in the windows was worth it to get the nicer look.

Honored Contributor

I use window candles during Christmas time. It looks so charming especially in my style of home. I bought mine from my local hardware store, no specific brand. But I know to use brand new batteries then they'll last a awful long time!

"Pure Michigan"