Respected Contributor

Nice choice, @CLEM.  

Valued Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

This sample comes very close to what I am getting.  Can't find the exact thing on line.

Very pretty color and grain.  I think you'll love it once it's installed.  Good luck with your new floor and your decluttering.  Have a great day!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

If I was having new floors installed, I'd go with the vinyl planks.  It's the most practical solution if you have pets.  It the only floor you can scrub and get soaking wet.  I had cork floors installed about 10 years ago and they've been a disaster.  If only I'd known they were coming out with vinyl. 

You want to be careful getting a vinyl plank floor soaking wet if there's a wood subfloor under it. The planks don't generally lock together in an absolutely waterproof manner and chances are some water on a soaking wet floor would get through the gaps. If it's on concrete there's less risk of rot or water damage but you could still get mold issues if you consistently soak the floor with water.

In my house I've got old longleaf pine floors that are original to the house (1927) and in bad shape. There's not enough wood left to sand them down or the tongue on the tongue and groove will get exposed. I experimented with a dark brown porch and floor paint in one bedroom about ten years ago and that worked very well, but my Mom's wheelchair dinged the finish rather badly in later years. I've now done a new test in her old bedroom on an 18" by 24" section (that will be hidden under the bed if things go badly) where I repainted it and and added three coats of a water based poly and I love how that looks. I go in there mutliple times a day dragging stuff across that section and scuffing my shoes along it to see how it holds up and so far, so good. I may just end up redoing the whole downstairs that way. It's an incredibly affordable solution. (The porch and floor paint is about $25 a gallon and the poly is around $50 a gallon and three gallons of each would redo the two bedrooms, living room, kitchen and hallway.) For about $225 I can redo all of those rooms with a floor that looks pretty darn impressive. I still want to see what happens to that test sample when the humidity hits it in a few weeks. PIne floors tend to shrink up quite a bit in the drier winter air then expand in the humidity, so we'll have to see how flexible the poly is when the floors want to expand. Assuming the finish holds up okay, I may be doing that for my summer project.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I was supposed to get my vinyl flooring sometime in June or so.  But guess what?  They are supposed to get installed next week.  The wall to wall carpeting has been removed already, so now I am just waiting for the new stuff.  Can't wait.

Honored Contributor

I have both. I have teak wood floors throughout in my cottage and vinyl "wood" flooring in our carriage house (living quarters above garage). I like the wood so much better! The vinyl flooring is just that....vinyl. I like real things like wood so wood is my flooring choice. 

"Pure Michigan"