Honored Contributor

Very large pillows question.

What do you do when you are at someones home and they offer you a seat in the living room, but the sofa and chairs are covered completely with large pillows.Do you sit there against the pillows, or remove them to sit and put them on the floor? I never know what the proper behavior  is regarding those pillows. My DH - typical of a guy - just tosses them on the floor and makes himself comfortable.I always sorta move them over and try to just sit on the edge of the seat, but that isn't usually very comfortable.

Honored Contributor

Re: Very large pillows question.

My friend who is an interior designer says you should always buy large pillows that use all the colors in your room and that completes your look and pulls it together. I say, no thanks to pillows on my furniture. In my house furniture is for sitting upon. My sofa has one very small pillow on it that my best friend bought for me because we have a very large sofa and she is under 5' so she needed a pillow behind her back when she's at our house.I just keep that one in the middle so you can sit around it.

Respected Contributor

Went a little pillow crazy did they?, is usually my first thought!! I always just lean them up on the side of the chair/couch arm on the floor. Put them back before I leave too, trying to get them back how they were to begin with. (They look pretty when no one is actually sitting there, but other than that I just find them to be in the way and not adding anything for comfort either.)

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

What do you do when you are at someones home and they offer you a seat in the living room, but the sofa and chairs are covered completely with large pillows.Do you sit there against the pillows, or remove them to sit and put them on the floor? I never know what the proper behavior  is regarding those pillows. My DH - typical of a guy - just tosses them on the floor and makes himself comfortable.I always sorta move them over and try to just sit on the edge of the seat, but that isn't usually very comfortable.

I'm with DH.   I find one to support my back the rest go discreetly to the floor or if the couch is big enough, to another area of the couch.   I only have a few pillows and a couple of throws on my couches, when my guests come over, I don't have a problem with them re-arranging to suit them.  When they leave, I re-arrange it all to suit me.

Honored Contributor

My DH will sit on them but I am sure that doesn't make the homeowner happy.I always tell him to move them over before he flattens them out.

Honored Contributor

Sit back on them. If you don't want people to sit on your stuff, don't put the stuff where people are supposed to sit.

I have pillows; they're meant to make your sitting more comfortable. So...SIT and enjoy. : )

Honored Contributor

Years ago I used to have many pillows on my couch and chairs. I usually bought ones in colors to compliment the rest of my room. People were always fussing with them when they came to visit. I felt that the pillows appeared irritating to them and myself. So I decided to get rid of them altogether.  I'm focused on minimalistic now.  Just pure couch and chairs for me now. Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I always sit back on pillows to make sitting more comfortable. I have a few pillows on my sofas. Most guests use them. A few of my guests push them aside or lean them against the sofa on the floor. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love my funky shaggy pillows!....I feel they add warmth to a room, as well as a lovely accent color....They are not very large though which is what your post refers to....They are just average size throw pillows, so they don't really pose a problem when company is over.

They usually just adjust the pillows to how they are comfortable with them....no problem...and I do the same when at other people's homes.

Here is a picture of my funky shaggy pillows that I have on my living room couch and also the couch in our den area.....green in the living room and teal in our den area....Love them!

Marley Lumbar Pillow

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

I would lean back on them.  If there were too many I couldn't sit, I'd move them over on the couch.  No room, then on the floor next to the couch.