Honored Contributor

Re: Very large pillows question.

I move them unless I'm at my nieces house, then I'll put them behind me.  I don't know what kind of a sofa she has but if I want to lean back my feet don't touch the floor - think Lily Tomelin as Edith Ann in the big rocking chair!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love large pillows ... they become a big part of my decor. 

I usually change from season to season, although not so this summer.   I have a storage bin in the basement to accommodate them ... but because of knee and hip problems I'm not changing them this year.

I just let guests do what they want ... lean back on them, move them on the sofa or to the floor ... whatever.  I have two 24-sq" on the couch, the same size on the chair next to the sofa ... but smaller (20") on two additional chairs.

Honored Contributor

@SoX the issue is when the person has 4 to 6 24" pillows across a sofa. There is literally no where to sit.If you put them on the floor sometoimes it upsets them, because they don't want them to get dirty.

Honored Contributor

I tend to either keep on standing until the host moves the pillows or I ask where they want me to put them. My one friend - who has about 6 pillows on her sofa - I asked her husband where to put them - he threw them on the floor then handed the final one to me and said when Patty gets in here I give you permission to whack her with this one - maybe she'll get the idea what a PIA these stupid pillows are.

Honored Contributor

I was raised that the pillows in chairs and sofas were for looks only, and especially in other people's homes, never to sit on them or squish them behind you and 'ruin' them.

At my house, there is just one pillow at each end of the sofas (except for holidays, I sometimes throw an accent pillow on a chair here or there), and they are smaller and for decoration mostly. I'm ok with people moving them or using them, whatever works for them. 

I feel kind of funny using other people's pillows, as most people lay on them, prop them behind their back, etc. and they get kind of 'personal' like a bed pillow does to me. I don't like using other people's soft surface things, like pillows, it just seems kind of germy to me.