Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Did the previous owner take the blinds?   I don't think you can do that, window coverings need to stay with the sale?

or

Are you wanting to replace them?

Blinds and  window coverings are personal items and are often taken by the seller.  I have Hunter Douglas Duette blinds on my patio door.  If I ever put my home up for sale, they will be removed immediately.  I know if a potential buyer sees them, they will want them to stay.  No way, Jose!

Some sellers leave the window coverings behind because they will not fit the windows in their new home.  Often the buyers hate the window covering and replace them ASAP anyway.

Honored Contributor

I've never understood the taking of blinds because I have never, EVER, had windows the same size in any house I've ever lived in; blinds from one house wouldn't fit.  Maybe it's just the norm for my area but blinds stay with the house as do curtain/drapery rods or anything that is custom fitted/anchored to the windows.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I've never understood the taking of blinds because I have never, EVER, had windows the same size in any house I've ever lived in; blinds from one house wouldn't fit.  Maybe it's just the norm for my area but blinds stay with the house as do curtain/drapery rods or anything that is custom fitted/anchored to the windows.

@SahmIam to be honest I haven't moved around a lot so I am just glad they left behind the hardware to hang blinds.  As hopefully this will be my forever home, I would like to select blinds that will be permanent and based on the carpeting and paint I couldn't ask for a better match.  The home I am moving from is my parents and the wall treatments are from the 70's so I am in uncharted waters here . . . Smiley Happy

Sincere thanks to everyone for taking the time to post as I more than appreciate the help  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
I went to Home Depot a few months back with measurements for purchasing window blinds. Those measurements had to be accurate and the fit was perfect. I think it helps if you have good measurements and get ahold of experienced salesperson. After some questions and maybe more than one trip you will be able to tell that person helping you knows what he is talking about. Don't be in hurry and ask questions. Love my verticals.
Regular Contributor

I have vertical blinds and I hate them. I can't replace them either because every unit in the building I live in has to look uniform from the outside. I have floor to ceiling windows. If I want the window open the blinds become unruly and flap all over so I have to tie them back. That's a problem if I want the window open at night and morning comes and the sun is streaming in my face. Its really annoying. If I had my way I would have horizontal blinds so I can easily move AND close them and keep my window open without the sun shining through without the flapping noise and the need for ties. That's my story you may have average size windows where that won't happen.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vertical Blind Question

[ Edited ]

When we sold our house the buyers offered to purchase the window covering. I had not planned to take them anyway so I told them I was leaving them behind for free. They were ever so happy.

We have vertical blinds in our camper over the sliding door.I hate them because they are in a hallway where we walk all the time so they are always getting brushed against and moved. I am always trying to get DH to agree to take them down and put a curtain with grommets at the top instead.We really need privacy in the door because it faces right out to the street.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vertical Blind Question

[ Edited ]

I have off-white, textured plastic blinds with valance (put up by a company that I hired) 16 yrs ago - still perfect.