Respected Contributor

I need a new vacuum cleaner that will do a good job on thick carpet with thick padding.  Must have high/low adjustment.  Prefer one using bags but would welcome comments regarding bag versus bagless.  I don't think I want a cordless sweeper but who knows, maybe that is the way to go.

I am starting to get ripples in my carpet that is not very old and I think it is my old vacuum that is causing it.  I am ready for a new one, but have no idea where to start. I haven't done the vacumming in many years and am not famiiar with desired features, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I think I am going to brave retail and get out of the house and go vacuum cleaner shopping this weekend.

Respected Contributor

Re: Vacuum Cleaner Suggestions

@KathyM23 

Don't know if your vacuum is causing the rippling....you may want to have the carpeting stretched. Even if you buy a new vacuum, that rippling may continue and eventually cause a safety hazard: tripping and falling.

As far as cordless vs. corded, I have found the corded ones definitely have more power.  The cordless ones have batteries and recharging will work for a few years.  The Dyson cordless I had went after 4-5 years: the cost of the replacement battery was as much as a new one, no guarantees.  

At home I am using a corded Shark Rocket which can be adjusted for bare floors and carpeting.  The floor component can be removed to do upholstery cleaning and other vacuuming projects with its accompanying tools.

HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I use an Oreck Magnesium. Lightweight and has high/low setting. Very happy with it.

Respected Contributor

I will never get another vacume that uses bags.  Once you have a good vac that is bagless, you will never go back.  I agree on the corded.  They just have more power.  Look at the accessories that come with it and make sure they are the ones you will actually need.  I have yet to use a stair carpet vac attachment.

Respected Contributor

@KathyM23  Awhile ago someone on these boards recommended the Miele Vacuum cleaner to me.  I used a Dyson for years and decided to try something else.  I bought the Miele on line from their site Miele.com.  It's very strong in picking up things.  Now as far as your carpet buckling, it's probably because you need to have it restretched, not the cause of the sweeper.  Sometimes a carpet can do that if it wasn't done correctly the first time.  I would have a carpet company come out and fix that first.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

KathyM23 - for about the last 10 years we have had a collie in the house. They have lots of fur so they shed. 

Have gone through about 5 vacuums. And got the Hoover Windtunnel Max (Paws Model) about 6 years ago and it still amazes me. I try and vacuum every other day. I have to empty the dirt cup several times and we only have the hallway, bedrooms and family room carpeted. It works as good today as it did the first day I got it.

It has a cord and it is no big deal to me. There are many outlets every few feet.

My Dyson sits in the closet. My Eureka is in the attic. And I threw out the others. 

Hoover is having an extra 15% off sale right now.

And your vacuum is not causing your carpet to ripple. When we got new carpeting, the carpet also rippled. We had the installers come out 3 times and stretch the carpet. We had the carpeting installed before we moved in and the house was cold. When the house warmed up ripples appeared.

PS - our carpet is thick too

Valued Contributor

We needed a new vacuum cleaner recently and the Dyson Animal was recommended to us.

I LOVE it.  We have pets, so there is always plenty of fur flying around.   The Animal model was made for this purpose.  I thought my rugs were clean, but it turns out there was so much fur in them!   I love the fact that there is no cord to drag around and it is not heavy.  I can't say how it would handle your carpets.   It does have different adjustments.

Respected Contributor

I don't think it is your vacuum that is causing the ripples in your carpeting.   We had the same thing and had to have our carpeting stretched.  

Two years ago I broke down and purchased an Oreck Magnesium Upright.  It was more than I ever expected to pay for a vacuum but I wouldn't trade it for anything.   It is so lightweight and has a high and low setting.  

I looked at Dyson's and they were just too heavy for me to use on a regular basis.  I had my husband pick one up and even he said the same thing.  I had a friend who purchased a Dyson and she said her husband has to do the vacuuming because she can't use it even for the limited carpeting they have in their house.  

The Oreck is a breeze to carry around and it really does do a good job on all of our carpeting and we have carpeting throughout our whole house.  

As long as Oreck is making vacuums, that is the only brand I will ever buy.

Honored Contributor

If your newer carpet is getting ripples, it's more likely that the carpet wasn't properly stretched when it was laid.  Call whomever did your carpet before your warranty wears out.

Respected Contributor

@Janey2  I have an Oreck because one of the ladies who cleaned for me requested it because it is lightweight.  Mine doesn't have the high/low feature tho.  The lightweight part is great.