Honored Contributor

Re: Updating A Tired Room With Color

[ Edited ]

Adding pastels and other light colors to neutral rooms isn't "adding color" in my opinon.  There's not much contrast.  It's still neutral to me.

One of my pet peeves is designers not adding lamps and side tables on the ends of sofas and one side of the chairs.  Table lamps with soft lighting add coziness to the room and are easier on the eyes.  

This room still looks very tired, more like a before, not an after.  

I like the fireplace, though.

Honored Contributor

I like the room but would add more color through a different couch and chairs.  I would also add a bigger rug for warmth.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

It has a relaxed, cozy feel.  I like it!

Honored Contributor

This room does nothing for me.   As soon as I saw the blue bookcase, my first thought was Erin Napier has been here.   She's big on light blue, and it's the last color I'd put in my house.

Honored Contributor

The floor is an improvement while the shelf wall looked better before. Otherwise, the decor seems inadequate and forgettable. I'll stick with my earlier assessment that the room appears unfinished.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

It looks like a cozy room. It would work for a less formal room, like sunroom or den. It's not my particular style, but it's a pretty room.

You saw what I saw in this picture.  While not my particular style either, I thought it different and pretty.

Honored Contributor

The room looks nice enough, I am not a Light blue person, so I would not use that color for me personally, but in here it looks nice and cozy!

For more color I would add a larger rug, and more color in the furniture perhaps?

Honored Contributor

Given the fact that the first photo was a "before" shot, it's safe to say I'm not a fan.

The real before shot is pretty bad, but it's difficult to compare since the room is empty.  I would not have "updated" using the colors they selected.

Esteemed Contributor

It still looks tired, IMHO!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the pastel colors brighten up the space without overpowering it. Not everyone wants bright bold colors. I like the new floor and lighter wall color. I don't think I'd paint the bookcase though. I'd probably add more color in the accessories on it instead. The furnishings are just ok.