Honored Contributor

Unique decor ideas

[ Edited ]

I have a very small apartment without the 'usual' decor many people have.

But even with an extra tight budget (like mine) you can still surround yourself in the rooms you spend the most time in using the colors, patterns, and textures that you enjoy.  Along with the animals, flowers, quotes, whimsy, humor, etc. that you love.

Here are the items I use that pertain to the above:

BEDROOM

bedding

protective bed cover

wastebasket

eyeglass case

backrest

books

magazines

BATHROOM

linens

shower curtain

bath mat

wastebasket

hand soap bottle

eyeglass case

shower cap

shower pouf & back scrubber

KITCHEN

linens

dish drying mat

trash can (if possible)

hand soap bottle

dish soap bottle

teakettle

mugs, plates, & bowls

refrigerator& freezer magnets

wall calendar

BTW, there's nothing in my living room as I use it for storage, plus I don't  need a kitchen clock since I wear a watch 24/7.

Anyone else 'decorate' using necessary and/or practical items?  8)

~

Trusted Contributor

Great tips.

My home is also SMALL and I try and make things as neat and attractive as possible for "ME".

My tips for a small home is:

1) Get things you really like, sometimes we tend to "settle", if you like a certain style from a magazine, don't focus on the price but focus on creating the look with dupes.

2) Neat and tidy looks nice to me when I come home

3) For my bedroom, I now prefer solid bedspreads and lively accessories so my eyes don't just focus on the bed but move from the dresser to floral accents, to mirrors to a nice  vase, etc.

4) Solid Sofa - Because my place is small, I find a solid sofa allows me to change the pillows only and have a totally different effect. 

Well, I'd love to hear your tips.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  wrote:

Great tips.

Thank you, and thanks for sharing your own.

BTW, I love your nickname - so true.

My home is also SMALL and I try and make things as neat and attractive as possible for "ME".

Totally agree.

My tips for a small home is:

1) Get things you really like, sometimes we tend to "settle", if you like a certain style from a magazine, don't focus on the price but focus on creating the look with dupes.

Yep; something that instantly 'speaks' to you.

Especially if you like a mix of styles.

2) Neat and tidy looks nice to me when I come home

Agree; less stressful, too.

3) For my bedroom, I now prefer solid bedspreads and lively accessories so my eyes don't just focus on the bed but move from the dresser to floral accents, to mirrors to a nice  vase, etc.

Great tip.

My own bedroom has just a bed (metal frame plus mattress), makeshift nightstand, and narrowl bookcase in it so my quilt is kind of a global print with vibrant colors.

Throws and blankets are both solid and patterned in "happy" shades.

4) Solid Sofa - Because my place is small, I find a solid sofa allows me to change the pillows only and have a totally different effect. 

Easier to do plus more affordable!  You could add a throw as well.

Loveseats are also nice as they can be the same size and design as a couch but are often much cheaper.

Well, I'd love to hear your tips.

8-)

Honored Contributor

Even though my tastes lean the other way (I have to try very hard to resist "things"), I've loved decluttering in recent years, and "minimal" and "simple" are very attractive concepts.  It was fun reading these informative posts...

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it's unique, but I prefer less on the walls, less on end tables and less on countertops! "Less" makes a small space appear a little larger. Also, furniture in proportion to the size of the room.

Honored Contributor
@Oznell  wrote:

Even though my tastes lean the other way (I have to try very hard to resist "things"), I've loved decluttering in recent years, and "minimal" and "simple" are very attractive concepts.  It was fun reading these informative posts...

Thank you, and your new mottos are the same as mine.  8)

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1  wrote:

I don't think it's unique, but I prefer less on the walls, less on end tables and less on countertops! "Less" makes a small space appear a little larger. Also, furniture in proportion to the size of the room.

Agree.

I don't have anything on the walls (not even different paint colors) as I'm a renter.

That's why I like to express myself in my home in ways that I not only own outright, but are also easily changed.