Trusted Contributor

My wooden, stained outdoor bench didn't weather the winter very well. I am wondering if, after sanding it, is it easier to wipe on more stain, or spray paint it.  Do you think 1 spray can would cover it? I am not handy--just want it to be easy.

Respected Contributor

I would walk into a paint store and seek professional help.

Once you start mixing products on the surface you'll end up with more of a mess than the "easy" fix you are looking for.

I would sand, prime and paint with an exterior paint that's good for weather.

If you stain, you need to sand, stain and seal.

We don't know how big your bench is so guessing the number of spray cans of paint is not possible although I would actually get a pint/quart and paint it on that way.

Honored Contributor

just bling gave you great advice...I would do the same thing she mentioned.  Some paint has a very long life outside if you get the right paint....

Respected Contributor

From my personal experience, I would sand and stain.

I have an older wooden rocking swing bench.  The winter has been hard on it also.

After the wood gets old, the paint won't bond to it for a very long time.  I sanded my bench and painted it red with an outdoor paint.  It was ok for the next winter, but now the paint is peeling off and it needs to be sanded and painted again.  The chore has to be done because the peeling paint is rough and pokes skin.   Once you start painting you have to keep it up.  I didn't spray, I bought a pint of outdoor paint from Home Depot and painted it with a brush.  Took about half a pint.

You can buy a wood cleaner at HD that you mix with water, brush it on the wood, then spray it off with a power spray.  I use it on my cedar fence and it brightens the wood.

Then use an oil based fence stain on the wood and it should be good for a couple of years.   That's what I do with an adirondak chair.

Honored Contributor

You want easy?

Two words.

Chalk paint.

No sanding...YAY!

No priming....YAY!

Isn't that good news?

Esteemed Contributor

Want easy?    Sell bench in garage sale and go buy a vinyl one!  Easy and Done!     LOL

Honored Contributor

In my experience anything painted and left outside - even with outdoor paint - is going to peel and chip in a couple years. I would sand the piece and restain it - 2 coats of stain applied liberally - it will last about 3 to 5 years depending on weather, sun etc where you live. Also woolmanised (sp?) wood does not take stain as well nor last as long as regular wood and every type of wood is different in how it takes and holds stain.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm   I have never heard of using chalk paint for an outdoor item. Are you sure it is weatherproof?

Honored Contributor

I have an old wrought iron park bench that had seen better days. The wooden slats were beyond repair  so I removed them and went to a local recycled building material store and bought some composite decking material and cut pieces to fit my bench. Now it never needs any maintenance except for maybe a good hosing on occasion.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee I would definitely stain and seal. Once you paint something (even the outside of your house), you are doomed to paint forever. Where, with stain, you can always paint over it if you choose. I agree with @151949 that the paint would eventually begin to peel.

Earthday Is Everyday

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein