Trusted Contributor

I usually find odd home items at GW. I went to a GW today that has nicer items such as Drexel Thomasville furniture. I am not in the market for such items, but like to look.

I did not see anything that interested me, but this store has a pretty good selection of better costume jewelry and sterling silver jewelry.

Since I did not see anything else, I took more time to look in the jewelry cases. I usually give a quick glance and move on.

Today I spied something interesting: a sterling spoon ring. I remember those were popular years ago, but I never had one.

I asked to try it on and it fit! It looked small, but it worked for me! It was in good shape and was not scratched up. It was marked $8 but it rang up for $6!!

I am going to polish it up and wear it tomorrow. Cool find on something I don't usually look for. I heart GW!

Contributor

We call those stores that seem to have the best stuff the "Gourmet Goodwill."

Honored Contributor

Great find.  Since moving, I haven't visited the goodwill store here.  Yesterday I went to drop off clothing and every parking spot in the parking lot was filled.  It's a good size parking lot too.  I'm going to have to go in sometime.

Honored Contributor

When we moved to Florida we needed a few pieces of furniture to fill things out and we second hand store shopped for them. We got a rattan headboard for the bed in the guest room and my vanity for only $10 total. Can't beat that. I looked & looked for a stand of some sort to put a small TV on in the litchen but couldn't find one then one day I went to TJ Maxx and there it was - the perfect piece for the job and it was only  around $50. Greatly reduced because it was the only one they had.

Don't you just really love finding big bargains like that?

Honored Contributor

I know everyone is different and does their own thing, but people who have never been to a really good thrift store, don't know what they are missing.

There is a hospital or hospice thrift store in another town near us, and they have the most fabulous things I've ever seen in a thrift store. There are some high end consignment stores, and the prices are high, but this thrift store has consignment quality things for Goodwill prices.

They get the most beautiful furniture too. 

I love taking the hour drive it takes to get there, as it is always worth the trip.

Trusted Contributor

There is a thrift store in my area whose proceeds go to controling  the feral cat population and adopting out cats.

This cause hits a nerve with many (yes, me too) because the items that end up in their store are amazing. I've bought lamps, cookware and computer furniture and I've donated many household and clothing items that were in great condition.

Another detail this store does is display items attractively, grouping like-with-like, so it's easy to find things. It's the first place I go to when I'm seeking something specific before I buy new.

Valued Contributor

I contribute to my own Ferel Cat program by getting them spade and neutered or spayed.  Each county has a vet college that come around and does this at very good prices.  I have 8 done and feed them.  It is very rewarding !