Esteemed Contributor

Those String Lights Eat Batteries.

I got 4 sets of those little string lights a few months ago.  I have 2 sets in a large hurricane in the kitchen, 1 set each in small glass containers in the bathroom and LR.  I got mine from Amazon. All are on the 4 hr. timer.

I can't believe the amount of batteries I've had to buy.

Are they all like that?  They are very pretty but I may buy stock in companies that produce batteries.

Regular Contributor

Re: Those String Lights Eat Batteries.

I agree! I returned one set  and then ordered 2more sets from a different vendor. One set has been returned already. The batteries just do not last beyond a week. I just ordered mini lights from Amazon which are made with a plug. Luckily I have wall sockets where I need them.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the ones I bought from the Q that use the C batteries and have the 4 hour timer do not last. I've changed the batteries 3 times since Christmas. I'm going to put them away when these batteries are dead.

Trusted Contributor

i tried so many string lights and all were garbage.. latest ones were from amazon think a 3 pack.. i put energizer batteries in them also. the lights lasted not even a week and they got dim.. even tried a different set of batteries.... same thing..... love the look of string lights, but i give up on them all......

Honored Contributor

I bought several of the BL timer "micro" light strands -- I used them thru the whole season of Fall/Christmas. Yes, they take 3 aa batteries each and I did have to change batteries twice.  

to do a 24" wreath takes 3-4 strands -- lots of batteries! They really are "micro".

I am now buying my "AA" batteries when Walgreens has BOGO on their 24 packs.  I don't see any difference from Duracell.  I have gone back to buying traditional strand plug in white light strands for anything other than my front door wreath.

I don't mind because they add a little sparkle. I ordered the Spring ones for my Easter door wreath.

I like the timer feature. 

Esteemed Contributor

I bought mine off Amazon too....but I got the ones with remotes.

That way they are only lit when I want them on....like when I am home and sitting in that room..... It makes them last longer....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought some string lights which get plugged into the wall...no batteries needed. I know that limits where I can use them but for me they work perfectly for where I have them placed. Mine have a remote and I can change colors and flash patterns. I got them from amazon.

Respected Contributor

Yes they do! I got the set of them last Christmas and they lasted, on a timer, only about a week. I threw them away after Christmas, couldn't justify the battery cost. I got VPH's birch trees two Christmases ago and they eat up batteries so badly that I had to replace the batteries every week, 3 AA batteries x 3 trees. I like my lights on whether I'm in the room or not so they'll be on when I walk into the room so I keep them on the timers; I won't replace when these wear out. They're beautiful, I think, just not worth buying all those batteries then tossing them.

Trusted Contributor

Totally agree.  I stopped using most of the strands which I have for that reason.  For this reason I'm not buying anying which requires batteries - just too wasteful.

Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 sets from the Scott Brothers and the battery life is great! I was pleasantly surprised.