Honored Contributor

The teeniest, tiniest insects I've ever seen

I was looking at a stain on my countertop with my reading glasses is how I saw them-the stain was moving. I would say they are the size of a chigger and rust colored to blend in nicely with my countertop. I ran and got a magnifying glass and saw that they are ants!!!! If anyone knows what they are or what they want, please advise. Terro didn't faze them-they simply weren't interested. They don't seem to be after food. Maybe water? I just don't know and neither does google. Any help would be much appreciated.

Valued Contributor

Re: The teeniest, tiniest insects I've ever seen

Sugar ants?  We had them and cinnamon worked, sprinkled where they came in.

Esteemed Contributor

The tiniest ants I've ever seen were Pharoh ants, as identified by a pest control professional. They are as tiny as little crumbs, only when I stared at the "crumbs" I saw they were moving! They were after grease, not sugar, and ther had found my dog's food dish. Poor guy was reluctant to eat for a week before I saw the crumbs in his dish werent crumbs at all!

Good luck!

Frequent Contributor

Do a search on clover mites, and see if that's what they are.

Honored Contributor

I had already tried the cinnamon which I got from an herbal remedy site. They laughed at it and kept right on doing whatever it is they are doing. 

I don't think they're clover mites because of their shape. They are ants for sure with beady red eyes which one could only see with glasses AND a magnifying glass. I just want them gone. So far the only thing they didn't like was a ''green'' spray I use in the kitchen.

Esteemed Contributor

Ive had good luck repelling ants with Comet cleanser, the old style, powdered in a shaker can. One buck at the dollar store.

Sprinkle along their trail. I sprinkle it along the baseboard and use a flexible edge (like a credit card or spatula) to push the cleanser powder right into the crevice where floor meets wall. Never met an ant that could abide the stuff.

Valued Contributor

A safe way to get rid of ants if you have pets, is to mix baking soda and powdered sugar together & the ants are attracted to the sugar, but eating the baking soda kills them. Google the exact mixture if interested, it worked for me & it's been so long I don't remember the amounts.

Honored Contributor

I've wondered if it's harder to spot ants (or other insects) on a granite countertop.

Respected Contributor

ANTS...the bane of my existence!  Where I live it has been a very hot and wet summer.  We have been doing battle with the ants through the whole season - they are relentless!