Honored Contributor

For those suffering with allergies, I feel your pain.

I had horrible allergies to the 'seasonal stuff' and cats as a child, and we all took shots as kids.

I seemed to outgrow much of it, or maybe in just manifests itself differently than it used to. I used to sneeze uncontrollably, watery eyes, and itch. Now it's more sinus headache kind of thing, and much easier to live with than what I had as a child.

On a good note, we now live in an area the the 17 year cicadas aren't located. The town I grew up in that is near us is under siege from them right now. I was just there this morning, and had forgotten how big, ugly and disgusting those huge bugs are. Glad they are short lived and only show up every 17 years! And glad when we moved here 21 years ago, we managed to pick a place they don't breed.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio, those cicadas give me the heebie jeebies!  The only thing that creeps me out worse are the palmetto bugs/roaches.  *shudder*  We used to live in FL, and while other people see palm trees & think sunshine & beaches, I only think about the roaches that live in them...eek!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

@Serenity-Now wrote:

@Mominohio, those cicadas give me the heebie jeebies!  The only thing that creeps me out worse are the palmetto bugs/roaches.  *shudder*  We used to live in FL, and while other people see palm trees & think sunshine & beaches, I only think about the roaches that live in them...eek!

@Serenity-Now

I hear you!

My grandparents retired to Ft. Myers back in the 70's and we would visit them in the winter (when the bugs should be a little less invasive?). 

My grandma was the cleanest housekeeper I ever knew. But those bugs found their way in everywhere, even though they were sprayed professionally on a regular basis. One year, we were down there staying in a travel trailer, and you could hear those big things moving the pot lids in the cabinet. Creeps me out just to think about it.

I would love to retire somewhere warmer, but I don't know if I can handle the bugs in the warmer climate. Snowbirding is great, but gets to be too much to afford and do after a certain age, so I don't know. When someone invents south Florida winters without the bugs, I'm the first one on the list to move there.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio, we moved up to a cooler climate quite a few states north of FL, & it has been a blissful experience for me to not have to worry about bugs for at least half a year--I had never experienced that before, being a native Floridian.  I can also say that there is no time of year when the roaches are not active, not in FL.  They seem to live through anything. My mom was the type of person who cleaned clean rooms obsessively, but keeping roaches out of a home in FL is a full-time job.  I remember one time when I was a kid, she was leaving the bathroom after taking a shower, & a palmetto roach flew down the hallway...she ran screaming to her bedroom, slammed the door & locked it, lol!  She then sprayed the entire house with this putrid (now illegal) smelling insecticide, & guess where they found that roach?  In the window screen, trying to escape...in her bedroom.  I do believe she was convinced that roach was demonic!

The only annoying bug we have to deal with now are the Stink Bugs (those things are unbelievable!), but we are lucky enough to live in the woods overlooking a mountain now, & it is just a matter of days until my #1 favorite insect starts flying around soon....Fireflies!  I can't wait Smiley Happy

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Respected Contributor

I live in Anchorage, AK., we also had a mild winter, always a cool spring, but not too wet this year...trees bloomed little earlier as well, Because of the milder winter(?)  We have tons of trees and pollen, and I have a love/hate relationship with spring for that reason alone...I do love all the green...as well as the gorgeous colors of all the flower, when I'm able to see past wiping my constant watery eyes and runny nose.