Honored Contributor

We live in the country, lots of trees, grass and pines surrounding the  house, and big woods behind us. We deal with pollen every year, so you think I'd be used to it.

But this year is different. For one, it seems like it is later than usual, and the amount is so heavy. We have no air conditioning so our windows are open if it is warm. I always deal with having to wipe screens and window sills daily, and the furniture near windows has a green layer of dust to be removed daily. I don't know what it is, but this year it is piling up thicker and faster than usual.

We had a very mild winter, and cool spring with plenty of rain, so I guess we just deal with it for another week or two, then it usually settles down.

Anyone else have more pollen issues than usual this year?

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio  Hey........you know I'm in Ohio just like you, right?  It's the same here.......east of Cleveland.  Everything is later than usual, but coming on strong.  One thing that has recently slowed it down a bit is that (at least in my neighborhood) we haven't had any rain in maybe a month. It's like the dust bowl here, and the sun is out again today, after they said it would rain.  Never though I'd want it to rain!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I live in the woods too and the greenish-yellow pollen is over with; now the cottonwoods are doing their thing and the grass pollens are high too---I live in WA state and it seems like all this is early here. We didn't have much of a winter really so things bloomed very early. but that yellow pollen made a huge mess on everything. Yuk!!!

Valued Contributor

Hi @Mominohio--I noticed & remarked about this extra pollen this year, too.  It seems especially heavy, & I was choking on it until we had a few weeks of rainy days, and that mercifully seemed to tamp it down & lessen the effects.  

I also use an olive leaf nasal spray at this time of year, when my sinuses hurt & I get so many allergy headaches.  That helps me a lot, too.  I sure wouldn't want to be without it!  I used to get so many painful sinus headaches whenever it is pollen season, & coughed constantly. 

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

The pollen from white pine is peaking now in SE PA.  I'm always glad when it's over - the yellow dust gets all over everything.  I keep the windows closed for the two- to four-week period - which kills me because I like opening them in the Spring.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I live in the woods too and the greenish-yellow pollen is over with; now the cottonwoods are doing their thing and the grass pollens are high too---I live in WA state and it seems like all this is early here. We didn't have much of a winter really so things bloomed very early. but that yellow pollen made a huge mess on everything. Yuk!!!

@wagirl  Yes, the cottonwoods have just started here in NE Ohio too.  By now, they usually have been in full "snow" mode for a couple weeks.  We also had a mild winter, but the spring was wet and cold.

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

@MominohioIt seems to be a worse than ususal allergy season here. There's not too much pollen right now, but what remains is still gathering on outside furniture, etc. I don't open windows much because of my allergies and asthma, so we bought two air conditioners to use  for the very hot days, or just when the house seems stufffy. We're in a heavily wooded area too, but lots more of the pines and other evergreen trees around, and a bit less of the leafier types of trees.

@Serenity-Now, Where did you find the olive leaf nasal spray? I've been fighting a bad sinus headache since five this morning, and nothing seems to be helping. Thanks! pinky. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio We live in the same situation, in South Carolina, and our pollen season hit earlier and much harder than I ever remember it being before! We've had the A/C on for awhile now (with a few spells of needing the heat for a day), but that stuff still gets in and gets all over everything! We had a fairly mild winter/early spring so I guess that's why.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio I feel for you for dealing with pollen without AC!  That's my answer, lol. Stay inside and run the air. You must really have a tough time!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

The cottonwoods are 'snowing' here too. I don't mind that as much, but maybe that is because we don't have a whole bunch of them.