Respected Contributor

My 1st career as a Buyer began in my family's business. We sold decorative accessories like crystal, wall art, figurines, sconces, a few chandeliers, candle holders, a few small Italian furniture pieces, vases, holiday decor, etc. I was in my 20's, and my own home was pretty stark/modern compared to the merchandise I purchased for the stores. My mother was wiser and gifted me items, and eventually I appreciated some others. Later, I became a Buyer/Product Developer for other businesses. When I was a single mom, my child wasn't fond of those things and I donated some to make room for newer trends & styles.

But now after a 2nd career, my appreciation for that decor has grown (maybe I have, too), and I wish I had kept everything. I wish I had the Bohemian glass, Mary Gregory, Italian vases/decanters/music boxes, crystal goblets, art glass, Department 56, etc. that I gave away. They're from an era that can't be recaptured. (I kept everything my mom gave me.)

Recently, I found myself looking online to buy new Dept. 56 - just one lighted house. Then I remembered the Dept. 56 Christmas in the City pieces, the Victoria Station, etc. that I no longer had & how I had liked them.

I know I'm missing my mom during the holidays.

But, have you ever let go of something that you learned to appreciate later?

Honored Contributor

Oh, agreed, @Desert Lily --  I have done that at times, and regretted it...   Ultimately, I've tried to be philosophical about it, and not worry too much about things that have "come and gone".  But for a second-guesser like me, that isn't always that easy, ha.

I'm very glad for you that you have the things your Mother gave you-- they are precious indeed!

Esteemed Contributor

That's why I have kept certain things that as my children and grands get older they have come to appreciate.  I have cut glass from my grandmother that my girls now love. Rather than purge, now that they are older, when the time comes they can make informed decisions. 

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  I did toss some tabletop dishes she gave me due to the lead/cadmium content, but not the decor items.

Honored Contributor

No regrets over any expensive or fancy items, but I wish I had all my little golden books. At least I assume that was the brand name. There was a Dennis the Menace one that I'd love to read again.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

No regrets over any expensive or fancy items, but I wish I had all my little golden books. At least I assume that was the brand name. There was a Dennis the Menace one that I'd love to read again.

@AuntG 

I still have a few of my childhood books, but I wish I had more of them. Mine went into my classroom and were used & loved by my students until they fell apart. I’ve taped a few back together. I actually looked online, and I did find a few of my favorites for sale, but didn’t buy any yet.