Trusted Contributor

@SahmIamwrote:

@TenderMercies  I'm a very nice person. So is my MIL. Until a jerk pushes it over the line. I believe most people are like this. The ones I feel very sorry for are those that are unable to say "enough" and wind up being used repeatedly.

@Carmie Lol. It's always a jolt to hear Mum use her voice. With me, my sons go "oh no, mom has "THE MOM" look. Someone's in trouble now!". Lol,they know. I noticed Mum has that same look just before the Voice comes out. : )

@SahmIam In my opinion, it's the people who don't tip who are the jerks.

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies People who don’t tip are not jerks,  

In the area where where I live, it is not customary to tip workers who work in your home.  I personally don’t know anyone who does.

Some people are on fixed incomes or low incomes and they have to save up to have work done.  It is a clear hardship for them to have to give tips on top of paying the bill.

Some  places do not allow their workers to accept tips..they can lose their jobs if they get caught taking them.

And it is 100% wrong, wrong, wrong for anyone to have a stand off with anyone waiting for a tip or to ask for one.  That is completely inappropriate.  

If anyone feels someone went over and above what was expected of them and they want to offer a tip, they can.  But it is not mandatory and should not be expected.

I would toss workers out of my home if they asked for a tip, and I would write a letter to their employer to express my dissatisfaction. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

@TenderMercies People who don’t tip are not jerks,  

In the area where where I live, it is not customary to tip workers who work in your home.  I personally don’t know anyone who does.

Some people are on fixed incomes or low incomes and they have to save up to have work done.  It is a clear hardship for them to have to give tips on top of paying the bill.

Some  places do not allow their workers to accept tips..they can lose their jobs if they get caught taking them.

And it is 100% wrong, wrong, wrong for anyone to have a stand off with anyone waiting for a tip or to ask for one.  That is completely inappropriate.  

If anyone feels someone went over and above what was expected of them and they want to offer a tip, they can.  But it is not mandatory and should not be expected.

I would toss workers out of my home if they asked for a tip, and I would write a letter to their employer to express my dissatisfaction. 

Exactly and Absolutely!

I get the idea from these boards that many people have the money to do just about anything they want to or need to (and that is great!), but so many of us save for years to do a big home improvement, or when caught off guard by an unexpected leaking roof or failing septic system (yep, both kind of came out of the blue for us), have to take a loan out to complete the necessary work. 

Most contractors are charging for every little thing they do (like the carpet we are having done at my mom's next week), separate fees for EVERYTHING, including tear up the old carpet (can't remember the fee right now), moving the fridge ($20 for like five feet), removal of the old carpet from the property (about $100), etc. 

The carpet and labor is going to be over six thousand dollars, for a very small house and not the entire house. 

At those costs, and the small amount my mom lives on with her retirement income, I have suggested she not tip, unless we see something really above and beyond during the process. 

I have a problem tipping people who make really good money for their work, and are just doing what they are already paid for. For me, tipping is for full service restaurants, maybe room service or the housekeeping service if you stay for multiple days in a hotel, and other low wage jobs, when people have gone above and beyond. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  I think many of the posters are pulling our legs.  The way they complain about a few dollars for shipping charges and the price of everything,  I can’t Imagine why they would be handing out cash like candy at a fair to strangers just doing their jobs.  The workers are getting paid and not doing any special favors.

The way they brag about tipping, I might be interested in working for them...for tips only.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it may be considered argumentative

Respected Contributor

Tipping has gotten soooo out of hand.  It's almost laughable.  

QVC Customer Care

This thread has been closed for commenting it is becoming  argumentative