Valued Contributor

Re: THROW RUGS DO NOT LAST ......

@Lucky Charm

Wow.  It's off to Boscov's for me.   You had me at "you can wash them in hot water." lol

Thank you so much!

Esteemed Contributor

@Elri , I understand about putting a rug in the kitchen.  I teach balance classes to seniors and one of the things that we caution them about is throw rugs in any part of the home.  We also caution them about those kitchen mats, which can easily cause someone to fall if they don't get their entire foot on it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I only buy the kind with non-slip backing.  They last me for quite a while.  Two things I never do is wash them in hot water or put them in a dryer.  I think I got mine at Kohl's.  

Honored Contributor

Several years ago I hired a professional to come to my house and assess my home's safety issues and address anything that needed changing. The first thing they told me was to get rid of all of my throw rugs....all of them. She said they were the single most cause of falls in the house. Today I do not have any throw rugs. My safety comes first.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

#1  The backing comes off in several washings.

#2  Some thick, fuzzy rrugs have come undone in the washer, leaving me undone.

#3  Require cold water wash.  

I wish I could find the rugs I bought years ago.  They looked like a chenille rag rug with short fringe.   But, they weren't puffy like chenille.  You could use either side.  They were really pretty but heavy duty.  No latex backing was needed because the runners were heavy enough to stay put.  They could move but didn't slide out easily during routine use.      

AND, they could be washed in very, very warm water.    

They can put a man on the moon ( or not, depending upon the individual lol ) but I can't find decent rugs.   I remember these were made in N. Carolina.    

ITA...Too funny...I just started looking for a couple of rugs this morning for in front of the doors with all the criteria you mention.   Haven't found anything yet.  I have an old "loopy" rug that I purchased in the 80's and it is still going strong. No latex back, red color still strong.  The searh goes on...good luck.

Honored Contributor

I have throw rugs inside all the doors so people can wipe their feet. I wash them 3 to 4 times a year then hang them out in the lanai to dry.I've had the same ones since we moved here 8 years ago. They are the ones with the foam on the back, purchased at Walmart. They are starting to look a bit worn around the edges so I'll probably buy something new when we move. 

Honored Contributor

I've felt this same frustration for about 15 years now. 

Back in the day (80's) I bought (well actually my mom bought for me as a house warming gift for my first house) a set of three non skid backed kitchen rugs from JC Penney.

I used those rugs for well over a decade, and they were the only ones I had for the kitchen. They were washed regularly in hot water, and dried in a hot dryer, and lasted forever.

So for many years JC Penney was our go to for small kitchen or area rugs like this, and we were always pleased with the quality.

Eventually their quality went downhill, and in the early 90's, I found great quality rugs at Kohl's for the same uses. They lasted at least for 5 years or more. 

Then Kohl's really started going down hill in the quality of all their products as well, and I've not found anything since that is affordable, non skid and pleasing in style.

I decided to reduce the number of this kind of rug used in our main living areas because of the lack of quality and because of the ease of cleaning without moving a lot of throw rugs (we were just raised with a lot of throw rugs, I think it was from back in the day where floors were all bare and hardwood or tile, and that was the way a woman warmed up the home some).

I now only have one small non skid rug at each outdoor entry, and one of those comfort mats at the kitchen sink. 

I have used Royal Palace rugs at the entry ways, but they aren't non skid, and while I do steam clean them, it is easier for me to be able to machine wash the rugs that are picking up dirt at the inside of entry points. 

Like everything else today, things just aren't made like they used to be. Frustrating to say the least.

Respected Contributor

I've found some really nice throw rugs at Home Goods.

I only keep a throw rug in front of the kitchen sink, bathroom sinks, and one in the front entry hall.  I have a runner in the back hall.  

The only throw rugs I wash regularly are the bathroom and kitchen sink rugs.  

That backing doesn't last forever.  I'm careful when I wash them.  I throw them in the dryer for a few minutes and I just let them air dry.   

Super Contributor

I recently bought a Better Homes & Gardens Village mat for the floor by my kitchen sink. It stays in place, easy to clean, and bevelled edges so no tripping. Doggy occasionally eats on it, but no peeing.  At Walmart, $15. Not quite as bright as shown, but I'm very happy with it, and, tho it doesn't say in the listing, the tag that came on it said Made in USA.

I too don't like carpeting nor throw rugs, but I need a few around for my dog, who just can't seem to negotiate hardwood floors. Won't slow down enough.

Valued Contributor

@summerwind

@Bri36

@mominohio

@151949

@avid shopper

@SilleeMee

Wow, look how many of you responded since last night.  Thanks!  I really am careful with rugs.  The living room rugs are huge and the furniture is on top. No way to fall there.  The area just in front of the sink is a safe place to have a rug since it is against the cabinets and sink area.  

I must have a throw rug in front of the door our dog uses to go in and out .... plus, my husband drags in so much from outside.  I really am careful.  Trust me, I live in fear of falling.  

It just bothers me that so many products are completely inferior to those made earlier in time.  

Now, all you lovely ladies have a great day.  I appreciate your time.