Honored Contributor

Re: THE BEAUTY OF A BUILT-IN

[ Edited ]

Very nice!  A friend's mother (same one that is responsible for my love of primitives) had a large collection of milk glass.  I loved antique baskets.

Honored Contributor

It's nice but Instead of the glass collection, I'd let a cat use it for chillin'/sleeping. ;-)

Kitties are also artful decor. Cat Tongue

Respected Contributor

They just don't make 'em like that anymore!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz ,  boy, I would love to have some local craftsmen like your cousins!   We used to have someone great, old school, from a nearby village, but he retired.  Totally trustworthy and meticulous.  That seems harder to come by, these days... 

Honored Contributor

When we built this house I had two china closets built into a stone wall we have in the dining room.  I like to use my hutch for decorative items, not dish  storage.  Although there are things I would do differently if I were building this house today, I don't regret that decision one bit.  It works great, and it looks great built in.

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy I hear you, someone once told me that you didn't need art in the house if you have a cat.

My two Siamese were excellent examples of that. Perched on the mantel or curled on a chair or windowsill. One sadly passed away during covid. She was my adventurer who also thought she was a parrot as being on my shoulder was a great spot to see the world.

The half grown kitten isn't quite as artistic. Right now he's into knocking things OFF of the table, desk, what have you and chasing my 15 y/o girl who is NOT thrilled.

I agree that the shelves would be excellent spots for a kitty to chill.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Nightowlz ,  boy, I would love to have some local craftsmen like your cousins!   We used to have someone great, old school, from a nearby village, but he retired.  Totally trustworthy and meticulous.  That seems harder to come by, these days... 

@Oznell 

It is hard to come by such craftsmanship today.

I couldn't believe all the wood in their homes. Their kitchens, fireplaces, mantles & staircases is nothing like I have ever seen. It's all beautiful. I would hate to have to clean all the intricate & carved areas. 

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 :  that's a lovely - and true - saying. 

Fun stories about your beautiful kitties. Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell  Beautiful built-in. I love the window shade too which looks like it has botanicals printed on it. So lovely.

To tell the truth, the first thing my eye landed on was the Waterford pineapple vase on the desk. I received one from a dear friend of mine as a gift. I try to keep one single fresh flower in it seasonally.

Love the white hobnail milk glass. I have one piece that was my moms.

Woodworking is such a dying art and that's ashame. I love how the radiators, which are probably cast iron, have been enclosed with such nice wood.

Thanks for posting.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Love your eye for detail, @Queen of shop --  thanks for highlighting those lovely aspects in the image!