Valued Contributor

Re: Starting fall cleanup early

[ Edited ]

I'm also starting my fall clean-up early this year.  I have to patch concrete and then paint the steps next week hopefully.  Then I'll have to dispose of the leaves and canes from my many rose bushes at the city composting center later in September/October.  I had a loose shingle or two on my roof for a while that I finally got taken care of last week when a neighbor had his roof done.  I asked one roofer if he'd tack it down for $40 cash.  Just as they'd finished their job, he came over to do it.  I felt so good to have that taken care of by someone who knew what he was doing.  He was up there longer than I'd expected.  When he came down, he said, "That shouldn't give you any trouble anymore."  Happy fall!

Respected Contributor

For me it's just the opposite. Next month I'll plant tomatoes and herbs for my fall garden. Then, I'm going to replace a few perennials.

Can't wait to start using my grill this fall.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

We have had way too much rain here this summer and it has been hot.  Right now it is getting cool at night and my plants are telling me that we will have an early fall this year.

I have cleaned up some of my potted annuals because they dried up, were leggy or just awful looking.  My tomato plants are starting to dry up too. My DH had to blow some leaves into a pile and pick them up.  Our trees are staring to show some red, orange and yellow.... way too soon for all of that around here. I cut my tall Lilly plants back to the ground because they were done blooming.

We need to plant some grass and will do that next week.  I am planning and ordering bulbs to be planted this fall to bloom next spring and summer.

i hate to see Summer go, but Mother Nature is kicking it to the curb about a month early this year.

@Carmie - I agree fall like events are happening early - does that mean a longer fall or an earlier winter - hmmmmm.....

Trusted Contributor

So far I have lost 4 of my tomato plants.  The tomatos looked good but when cutting them the insides looked strange - and pulpy.  Disappointing.  Also tossed out a hanging basket but so far that's it.  My sunpatients from Cottage Farms are huge and gorgeous and will hate to see them go.  I will bring out my fall decor the day after labor day.  That to me is my official beginning of fall Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I've pulled out some plants, too. Anything that didn't look great is gone....why bother watering them?

Valued Contributor

I'm in!  This is the third year for us where signs of fall have come early, and I love it!!! lol The perrineals that have finished for the year have been cut back, the basement deep cleaned and better organized, and the closets are also pared down and look good.

Unfortunately, the list of to do's is still pretty long...

The deck needs to finish being stained. It's big...sigh... I ran out of stain and it took a month to come in. The near daily rain we've had also pushed this work further back.

There are a few areas to paint inside, some touch ups, but the stairs to the second floor also need painting, a full paint job, not touch up. Smiley Sad

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but this is most of it. It's nice to be in good company with everyone here as we get things done! pinky

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal et al, today I took down my bee balm and my hummingbirds were not happy.  I watched awhile to make sure there were no bees in it.  They have all moved to the coneflowers.  Same with the butterflies.  The hummers however were buzzing around me.  I will wait longer next year.  They have lots of food but they really do like the bee balm.  The hummers leave mid September every year.  I record their arrival and departure annually and it rarely varies.  LM

Honored Contributor

It's only August,  not time to say good-bye to summer yet.  Unless you just don't like summer.   

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's only August,  not time to say good-bye to summer yet.  Unless you just don't like summer.   

@chrystaltree, I love summer.  I also have two acres of gardens so when flowers are spent, off they go.  My fall cleanup happens over several months.  LM

Respected Contributor

I do think we are going to have an early fall. (SWPA)  Looking out the kitchen window this morning, I noticed bare spots in the woods, the maple leaves are just starting to turn and leaves are starting to dot the yard.  A lot of the folage (weeds) along the highways has dried out.  Almost overnight our lawn started to dry out and there is just the sound (insects) of fall approaching.  The temps are still pleasant, but the signs of pending fall are here.