Honored Contributor

Re: Starting fall cleanup early

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Nope, I'm not in any hurry to say goodbye to Summer. We don't start our Fall clean up till end of Sept and into Oct. We're still having fun with boating, jet skiing, etc. My flowers/plants are in their Summer glory right now so there's no way I'd begin cutting them back so soon!! 

@ID2 - my petunias always get so leggy and bare looking - just couldn't stand looking at them anymore! 

That is why i don't really like petunias.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

It has to freeze before I pull anything out.  By mid-October the outdoor stuff will be hauled back in.

I used to do that with Impatiens but by then it was like pulling snot and slime out!

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, I am starting to  do a few things.  I pitched three hanging baskets and one big planter full of annuals.  Still have several left that are looking good.

I have cut down spent perennials.  My beebalm is next.  I am consolidating a few gardens and giving some grasses away.  After the mess I had this past spring with huge grasses all over the yard, I will be taking them down in the Fall.

Still lots left to do.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@hoosieroriginal, I am starting to  do a few things.  I pitched three hanging baskets and one big planter full of annuals.  Still have several left that are looking good.

I have cut down spent perennials.  My beebalm is next.  I am consolidating a few gardens and giving some grasses away.  After the mess I had this past spring with huge grasses all over the yard, I will be taking them down in the Fall.

Still lots left to do.  LM

@Lilysmom - speaking of grasses - my neighbor told me her husband burns his mom's grasses in the fall.  So dumb me, I decided that would be quicker.  That thing went up so quickly, if I had not backed away I would have been severely burned.  I will never do that again.  But mine are very tall and difficult to cut when they get dry, so I like to do it while they are still green. 

Honored Contributor

I put my Mums from last fall in the ground and they came back this year, but they are small and skimpy looking. I won't do that again. I just planted collard and kale seeds and spinach and arugala seeds about 10 days ago and they have sprouted and are growing nicely. I still have basil growing and I have not pulled my hot pepper or zucchini plants yet. It's cool at night now where I live and it was only 69 degrees here today.

Honored Contributor

We have had way too much rain here this summer and it has been hot.  Right now it is getting cool at night and my plants are telling me that we will have an early fall this year.

I have cleaned up some of my potted annuals because they dried up, were leggy or just awful looking.  My tomato plants are starting to dry up too. My DH had to blow some leaves into a pile and pick them up.  Our trees are staring to show some red, orange and yellow.... way too soon for all of that around here. I cut my tall Lilly plants back to the ground because they were done blooming.

We need to plant some grass and will do that next week.  I am planning and ordering bulbs to be planted this fall to bloom next spring and summer.

i hate to see Summer go, but Mother Nature is kicking it to the curb about a month early this year.

Honored Contributor

I've been helping some friends stack wood. One friend just built a wood shed to store the split cords to keep them out of the rain and snow. I'm glad I don't have to worry about having enough wood for the winter. It's a lot of work! TG for gas furnaces. Right now I'm just waiting for the leaves to fall so I can get them bagged up. Not much in the way of outdoor plants. Just have to trim off some bushes so they don't get snapped off when the heavy snow comes down on them. Just had my furnace inspected and cleaned. Probably change the filter in a few weeks before the furnace kicks on...won't be long.

Honored Contributor

I only planted geraniums this year.  They are looking pretty good right now.  I hope to keep them through September. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

It has to freeze before I pull anything out.  By mid-October the outdoor stuff will be hauled back in.

I used to do that with Impatiens but by then it was like pulling snot and slime out!

@CelticCrafter, that is funny. I know just what you mean about frozen impatiens. The texture is gross.

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, my grasses are the same height as yours.  I wouldn't burn them as they are too close to other shrubbery.  Tempting though, I must admit!  LM