Contributor

Has anybody had any experience with Speed Queen stackables ... Model Number SF7.  I live in a condo that has a closet for the washer and dryer.  The original units from when complex was built are Frigidaire all in one (also called unitized) that has washer on bottom with dryer on top - all attached).  My appliance place at first recommended a GE unitized but I have been reading horrible reviews about them.  I spoke with appliance place this morning and owner's son admitted that they do have issues.  He said if I want the best in reliability I needed to go with Speed Queen.  Their stackables (Model Number SF7) he thinks will fit in my closet ... he is coming out tomorrow to measure to make sure.  The washer will be a front loader with glass circle front.  I have never had any experience with front loaders!  I told him I heard the gasket cracks and you have to watch for mold or mildew and I thought there was some drain you had to clean out (?????)  He said if I just wipe out the gasket periodically and leave the door cracked it should be ok that the drum in the washing machine has an anti-microiable finish.  We talked about a Whirlpool unitized (or all in one) but I think it is too wide for my closet.  I am paralyzed by fear ... I don't know what to do except I really want and need a need washer/dryer.  The GE will fit but isn't reliable.  The Speed Queen is so expensive but is said to be reliable.  What would you do ????  I can't have the full size side-by-side Speed Queen so am stuck with Model No. SF7.  Please give your thoughts !!!!!  Thank you !!!

Respected Contributor

Speed Queen discontinued their full size residential front loaders, I had one by another manufacturer & hated it...couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Speed Queen recently made changes to the 2018 top load washers & many are very unhappy with the new tub design so I'd check to see if there were changes made to the stacking washer too. There are reviews & demo's by buyers & applicance sellers on YouTube, I've used & found them helpful....Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

There are other companies beside SQ and GE - why don't you look around some more?

Respected Contributor

You can find the size of the stackables on their website if you wish to check out yourself also. There are also reviews from other owners/users.

I have always hear positive things about Speed Queen and also that they are more expensive then other machines.  For my money, I want a machine that does the job, is reliable and long lasting even if the initial output is more.

I have owned my current front loader for +10 years.  I follow the instructions given to you by the appliance store  rep and have never had a problem with odor or mold.

i have heard Speed Queen made some changes for their standalone washers for 2018 but do not know if these changes also apply to their stackable model.

Honored Contributor

I like my Whirlpool but you said the unit might be too wide. Have him measure just in case it would fit in your closet.

Respected Contributor

I have no experience with speed queen.  Just a note about front loaders.  I've had a full size LG for years and I love it.  BUT I'm very careful with it.  I dry the gasket and the soap dish after every use.  (I use a thin, abosorbant towel to dry the inside area of the gasket... not just the exposed area.)  But, that doesn't get all the water out, so I always leave the door open.  If I do close it for a short time (because of traffic patterns through the laundry room), I do notice a bit of a mildew odor when I open it again.

Honored Contributor

I've heard too many bad things about front loaders to ever buy one.  There has to be one that would work well besides the SQ or the GE that you don't want.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor
My concern with the all in one stacking ones are if the dryer goes you have just a washer and vice versa. They are also smaller than regular separate machines. You will find mixed reviews for darned near every machine out there these days. The more basic model you get , the less computerized, the longer it will last. Your space may limit your choices. Many of the places where a stacked all in one unit are smaller in width than what would be needed for a regular machine that you can stack. The other problem with stacked units, regular and all in one, is accessibility. If you are on the shorter side, you may need a step stool and getting wet clothes up and into the dryer on top, maybe a bit difficult with things like bedding and towels. Today it is so difficult to pick appliances because they are all so hit and miss and aren't meant to last just so you will have to buy another one. I understand companies making a profit, but boy did they drastically cut down on the lifetime of an appliance that isn't cheap to begin with. Used appliance shops may be a better choice as some people get rid of their appliances everytime some new fangled thing comes out.
Esteemed Contributor

Had a stackable when I moved in to this house. Don't remember the brand. When the washer went, the whole unit had to go. I found both the washer and dryer to be small.

I switched to full size washer/dryer and had them stacked. I'm not crazy about a front loader washer, but its the only way I can get a washer/dryer in the laundry room.